Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey up,

I've been training for the Royal Marines for a while now and I run 4 miles in around 25-26 mins. The first 2 mile's come out in around 6 min miles and the final 2 around 7 min's. Would you say this is a decent time or have I still got a long way to go before I should start entering races and competing?

Cheers

Haux

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Welcome to our little corner of the Internet.

If you can reach the distance then I would get entering. Until you have a PB you have nothing to improve on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aye i was curious to weather those times were any good for racing though, how would i go about getting official times?

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
You get an official time by competing in races.

As to what is a good time, it is the time you finish in when you give it your all. The point of racing in my opinion is to gauge improvement. In order to improve you need to set a benchmark.

Therefore get yourself signed up for your first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you not act like those are my official times lol. I've got an accurately measured route e.t.c. and time it with a HR monitor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Add some competition into my runs e.t.c. Good way of training if I have someone to beat.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Righty well so far my PB's are...

4 miles: 27:02
3 miles: 19:32
1 mile: 5:37

Cheers

Haux
a good start would be to sign up for a 5k (~3.1 miles) and aim for less than 20 minutes...

given your PB's so far you should be able to manage that...

it'll be better if you have mates of a similar standard to race with as competion...

out of interest, how fast do you need to be to be a royal marine?

i always thought that they were all bodybuilder lads and nothing like us scrawny runners :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Nah, the US Marines are more muscle e.t.c. British Royal Marine are all about fitness and rep's during training. You need to be getting a 7 minute mile and around level 11-13 on the bleep test. As for strength its 60 press up's, 80 sit ups and 6 over arm pull ups in 2 mins. Once the 32 weeks of training is over most start back on the weights and try build muscle.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
A PB is a PB regardless of whether it's a time trial or a race. Only race if you really want to compete. I don't buy into the argument that it's only "official" if you enter an organised event. To each their own.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Nah, the US Marines are more muscle e.t.c. British Royal Marine are all about fitness and rep's during training. You need to be getting a 7 minute mile and around level 11-13 on the bleep test. As for strength its 60 press up's, 80 sit ups and 6 over arm pull ups in 2 mins. Once the 32 weeks of training is over most start back on the weights and try build muscle.
i'd imagine it's the strength training that's the hardest but maybe that's just me...

you could run they requirements now without trouble...

good luck with it, i'd imagine their training would drive me mental...

"left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right" :d

1 - 15 of 15 Posts