Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sunday the 6th i completed my first 10k "race", the devonport classic in Auckland. I'd set myself a goal of 50 minutes which i was confident about making. The course turned out to be alot harder than i'd expected! Hilly and alsorts of surfaces from road to sand to grass to cobblestones. I felt strong throughout the event, i found myself being towed along by some of the other runners.... At about the 6k point i tripped and fell, thankfully i feel well, jumped back up, did a small bow for the onlookers and carried on. :-D
A man came blowing past me with 2km to go, i was already working really hard but thought i'd try and hang onto him until the finish. i managed to do so and even had enough gas for a final burst over the last 100m (amazing the energy the crowd can give!).
Crossed the line in 00:53:30. very happy with that considering.

Sunday the 13th just gone i completed the hawkes bay half marathon. This is my third half marathon but the first i've managed to run the whole way. The course was flat and quite featureless apart from a small hill 3km in (which i made the mistake of speeding down the other side of, oops!). I was feeling average at about 7km when a couple of runners came past, not going much faster than me. I decided to let them set a pace for me, bang on 10km/h. Felt strong until about 16km in, then i just wanted to be done with it all. Kept telling myself it wasn't far to go and to just hang on. the 20km sign appeared shortly after.... i picked up my legs and dropped my pace setters.... one of them tried to come with me but didnt last long. I covered the last km in just under 5 minutes which really surprised me (again, thanks to the crowd) and even had gas in the tank to "sprint" the final 100m!
Finishing time was 2:05, 20min better than my last half. Felt like vomiting for about 30 sec after i crossed the line.... pushed myself perhaps a little much over the final 1.1km.

All in all a very successful fortnight. Huge gains all round. Next event is on the 3rd of may, a flat 10k road race. Can't wait!!

Pics from the 10k event;
1. 50m from the finish
2. across the line, phew!!

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update time :D

A few weeks ago i did a flat 11k race in near perfect conditions, 55min on the dot, first time i've run 5 min km for any distance longer than about 6km. Was hard work but really enjoyed it!

Sunday just gone i completed my home town half marathon in 1:58.53, it was wet, cold and muddy for about 3km (we've had alot of rain lately). Really happy with that time considering the conditions. It was the hardest run i've ever done but i was ready for the "pain" thanks to the training and help from a great friend / mentor.
The same event took me 2:55.00 last year - it was the first event i'd entered, ever.

Heres a pic of me in July 2007 (been walking / "running" for a month or so) and in July 2008.

Anyone reading this considering getting into a bit of running, do it, do it do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
great news KF, this running lark really does get a hold of you :lol:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Great going KF, looks like you have had a busy race schedule recently, did you find it hard to cover all the bases for different events or do you like me "just run" in a fairly unscientific way ? any how, good going.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just checked my mail from when I was out your way, you weren't too far off your target you mentioned in your mail , bloody good run. The report on the Devonport 10k made me smile as when I was in Auckland I thought I wouldn't want to run here due to the hills :'( you never know might get a race in in NZ myself one day!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again everyone :d

Great going KF, looks like you have had a busy race schedule recently, did you find it hard to cover all the bases for different events or do you like me "just run" in a fairly unscientific way ? any how, good going.
I have been entering a few too many races in the past year, although i do train specifically for each one i've never really given myself a chance to do as well as i could by focusing on one event.
After the next race :rolleyes: in november i will take 6 months off speed work etc and work on "long, slow, distance" to build my base up.

My goal for the next taupo half marathon in a years time is 1:30 (and to remain injury free)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Napier half

I left Taupo at 6:20 and arrived at the Napier Boys High School just
on 8am, signed in, attached my timing chip to my shoe and my race
number to my shirt. By the time i'd done that it was 8:25, time to
line up for the briefing before the start gun at 8:30 gave the 120 or
so runners a fright (it was very loud, and close).

I set off at a fairly easy pace, covering 1km every 5 minutes and 15
seconds. That pace would see me home in 1 hour 50, that was my goal
time. I ran with a small group from the start to the 7k mark where one
of the group decided to gently up the pace, I followed. I stuck with
this guy, Craig from Napier - about 35 years old, for a further 10km.
We pushed each other a little, i felt he was a better runner than me,
more efficient. He commented that he was feeling a bit tired and that
his heart rate was higher than he'd like, "its up to 165" he said,
"mines been 185 since we made the break on the group" I replied. Craig
and I agreed to really push it when the 5k to go sign (17k completed)
came - at the base of the lookout hill, where the train tracks enter
the port area. Just before that time a very lean man of 45ish came
past us going about 20% faster than we were going, I decided to follow
him and use his pace.

After about 1km (completed in 4minutes flat!!) the 18km sign flashed
past, i knew i couldn't hold this rabbit of a man, my heart rate was
200 and i was spent, i slowed and let him go. Running along the water
front on the weaving concrete path, past the gardens, the farmers
market, marineland and the marine museum was very hard. I'd pushed too
much trying to keep up with the rabbit man. I was waiting for Craig to
pass me. The 19km sign crawled towards me as a tall woman of about my
age passed me going a good 30% faster than my 6minute km pace. I upped
my pace to match hers and stuck with her. She was gently increasing
the pace as we left the beach front and headed back towards the
school. 500m to go, heart rate 200, must beat tall fit girl! Onto the
grass with 100m to go i gave it everything i had, dropping the girl,
managing a half sprint for the line. Another fit, tall young lady
passed me with about 50m to go, I managed to find even more speed and
left her behind too!

Across the finish line! I sat down on the ground for a few minutes,
shattered. I'd completed the 21.1k course in 1 hour 48 minutes and 22
seconds, a personal best by 9 minutes. Craig arrived 2 minutes later,
he was as spent as me. We shook hands and thanked each other. Heart
rate was down to 120 a minute after i stopped running then down to 100
a minute later. It was around 75-80 in the car on the way home, a
little higher than my resting rate of 50-55.

I feel 100% recovered after 48 hours, bring on the next one!

I'd like to do this race in 1:30 in one years time. :d

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
must beat tall fit girl! Onto the
grass with 100m to go i gave it everything i had, dropping the girl,
managing a half sprint for the line. Another fit, tall young lady
passed me with about 50m to go, I managed to find even more speed and
left her behind too!

I can't wait to start beating some fellas if they feel this strongly about being beaten by a laydee!! :p:cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts