Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've upped my mileage recently and this afternoon did my longest run yet, 2.25miles, might not sound much but back in May I had trouble running up the stairs to my flat! I've noticed this week I've been a lot more tired than usual and now several hours after my run I'm exhausted and ready for bed. Its annoying as it seems to early and I dont seem to have much energy (I thought exercise would give me energy, not deplete it!)

What can I do to get over my tiredness other than sleeping more?

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Eat more? :)

More seriously you might need to review the types of food you eat, as if you burn energy and dont replace it you could leave yourself defficient

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eat more?! no chance. I eat enough as it is! lol

What should I be eating now my runs are getting longer? I'm clueless about all this really, are protein shakes worth trying?

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
personally i rekon as long as your sleeping well dont worry about it.. the body will adjust over the next few weeks and you will be back to normal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
how often are you doing that run? if thats the longest you can do maybe you should only do it once a week and for the other runs run shorter?
just an idea

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Nice going Li3zzy, like the others have said don't worry too much we all have tired phases if it continues like Hrun has said maybe look at your diet, keep up the good work :d

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
If you are doing exercise you should be eating more than when you are more sedentary. Despite some popular nonsense carbs are good they are a runners friend. Protien is also needed to build muscles but a sensible diet should give you all you need.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I agree with the eating more, just make sure its healthy food like fruit, yoghurt, veggies, lean meat etc.

Also, have you increased mileage as well as frequency? Running more often and longer might be making you more tired.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
It's natural Liz3yy...just don't let tiredness put you off though.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have to say I felt like that when I started running, I was so sleepy, but now I think my body is us to it. I usually need at least 8 hours sleep a night or I'm just grumpy.

But I think it will just settle down. Look after yourself.:d

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I feel a bit better today. I went for another 2 mile run tonight and was alot less knackered afterwards than I have been lately, I guess my body is getting used to all this exercise at last. I do have a slightly sore left knee tonight though so perhaps I should take it a bit easy!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
That's good to hear....aches and pains are normal and you can run with them....just need to be aware of those aches and pains and make sure they don't become any worse.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I was feeling really tired last night and today, I didn't even feel like running, but forced myself on a 5k jog as thought it would perk me up...

By the end my lungs were working overtime and my legs had had enough, and I was sweating madly on a cold day - I can run 5k 3 minutes faster, and feel a lot better.

I am assuming it might be something to do with the fact I did my most mileage ever so far last week, which included my longest run and longest hill reps session to date. I rested on Monday, did an easy 5k yesterday which felt fine, but today it seems to have caught up with me so will try to rest mostly now as I have a hard course to race on Sunday :worried:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
it certainly does catch up with you, usually just when you think "wow... I coped with that extra mileage pretty well!" :lol:

Rest up and all will come good on Sunday :cool:

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
it certainly does catch up with you, usually just when you think "wow... I coped with that extra mileage pretty well!" :lol:
Lol, true :lol:

thanks RS :d

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm always knackered on the weeks where I increase mileage (as it also means I have to get up even earlier), but on the fallback weeks I reap the benefits.... :)

Part of the enjoyment is finding out so much about yourself, both physically and mentally.... you will find your own rhythm, and start to recognise the signs when you are putting to much onto yourself.... just don't punish yourself when you feel you need to rest...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
i had porridge an hour before i went running last night and it seemed to give me the energy i needed to get around the near enough 9 miles we did last night.

Normally i am struggling with the normal club run (5 miles near enough)...... but i was naughty when i got in from running 8.15by the time i had shower etc it was near enough 9 and i never ate :rolleyes:

So i am naughty there !!!

But i agree feeling tired is normal especially if you have changed your routine lizzy.

Some days i cannot even walk up the stairs without feeling tired, but suprising on the evening training session i can happy enough get around a 5 mile training run. ??? :worried:

Weird isnt it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts