Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a run about 10 days ago, abit longer than I had been doing (I think ive done 6 runs in total now) and my ankles and inside of my knees still hurt when I go running.

I left it a week to see if it eased off but I went running last friday night and my knees hurt & my ankles, like they are going to snap and my legs feel so heavy. It eases as I run abit but the following day I can't walk properly.

I haven't run since friday and my ankles & knees still hurt if I try to run. I was running into town with the kids the other day and I had to stop my legs were too delicate.

Should I stil be running or ease off abit? any advice?

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Jing said:
I did a run about 10 days ago, abit longer than I had been doing (I think ive done 6 runs in total now) and my ankles and inside of my knees still hurt when I go running.

I left it a week to see if it eased off but I went running last friday night and my knees hurt & my ankles, like they are going to snap and my legs feel so heavy. It eases as I run abit but the following day I can't walk properly.

I haven't run since friday and my ankles & knees still hurt if I try to run. I was running into town with the kids the other day and I had to stop my legs were too delicate.

Should I stil be running or ease off abit? any advice?
how far did you say you've been running jing and over what kind of surface and roughly how long did your runs take?

What kind of footwear have you got and is it both ankles and both knees ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI,

I am running on road, running nomore than 2.5 miles at the mo, building up to the 5k slowly.

I wear Asics 2120 running shoes. I haven't had any trouble with shin splints.

It is more my left side than my right.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Jing said:
HI,

I am running on road, running nomore than 2.5 miles at the mo, building up to the 5k slowly.

I wear Asics 2120 running shoes. I haven't had any trouble with shin splints.

It is more my left side than my right.
Ok nothing to out of the ordinary there structured shoe mild overpronator then.
i would suggest you reduce the length of your runs by half ie start with a gentle mile run /walk if need be even ethough it's only 2,5 miles you've only done 6 runs and your experiencing problems so it could be a case of too much too soon.
i know you struggle to find the time with your young family Jing but is it at all possible to train every other day rather than the way you train currently this would help a lot!

stick to the mile run for a couple of weeks to allow your body a chance to recover .

If things improve in the next fortnight then up the distance a little each week from then on your 5 k isn't until july i think so you need to pace yourself your trying to run your target race distance in too short a time i think.

i hope my advice works for you listen to what your body is trying to tell you and i'm sure you'll come right .

take it easy

Cheriton

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Cheriton,

I shall do that, thanks.

At present I am doing about 2.5miles but I do walk a little bit of it, I run for 4 mins then walk for 2 usually.

I was ok until the last couple of runs.

I can only go out sunday morning, wednesday & friday. My husband goes to the gym the other nights and our children have clubs a couple of evenings. Its all go:p

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went for a short run tonight

I didn't run far because my ankle and knee were hurting everytime I put weight on my left leg. I only managed 1.7 miles and I walked alot of that.

I really am not enjoying running now I am in pain, I am abit fed up because I was doing really well and enjoyed going out 3 times a week.

I think I will have to rest up for a while. Am I in the wrong shoes? I went to a running shop but they said they didn't do the gait test but asked me questions and assured me the Asics 2120's would suit my feet well because my feet roll inwards.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Jing said:
I didn't run far because my ankle and knee were hurting everytime I put weight on my left leg. I only managed 1.7 miles and I walked alot of that.

I really am not enjoying running now I am in pain, I am abit fed up because I was doing really well and enjoyed going out 3 times a week.

I think I will have to rest up for a while. Am I in the wrong shoes? I went to a running shop but they said they didn't do the gait test but asked me questions and assured me the Asics 2120's would suit my feet well because my feet roll inwards.
Hi jing sounds like you overpronate proper gait analysis would be best 2120's are for overpronators so if that is your gait then they are fine. as the pain is lingering on i would suggest to give yourself some time for your problem to ease.,by running when it's not fully healed will hinder your recovery and may prolong it further.

It's really frustrating when everything is going well and then you push a little harder then bang an injury occurs try not to let it get you down better to learn from it .

have you tried ice on the affected area no more than ten minutes it can be repeated but make sure that you let your knee/ankle get back to normal temperature first .the trusty bag of frozen peas works a treat, and possibly some anti inflamatory like ibuprofen
could also help .

I'd suggest some quad muscle strenghtening exersices too .stand with your feet at the five to one position bend th knees slightly when in this position proceed to as it were bob up and down rythmically with your knees in a five to two position you should be looking to dip no more than about eight to ten inches ,
and don't fully lock out you should return to your original starting position ie slightly bent
do 2 mins of these six times a day
these are gentler than some other quad exersices

Other than that i don't know what to suggest hopefiully the problem will right itself!

take it easy and chin up :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks,

I just did the foot imprint test and it seems I do have the right shoes for my type of foot.

I shall try those exercises from today and see if I feel any better running next week. I hope so because I really enjoyed the running until this and I felt I was getting better with ever run now I feel I am back to square one.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Injuries...pain...running

It's a sad (but unfortunately true) fact that if you run, you will get injured. :( Some people more than others. In people for whom running is a relatively new activity, the incidence of injury is higher (again, unfortunate).
As you continue running you will learn how to recognize and differentiate between the "niggles" and more serious injuries. You'll find out how to treat them and just what you can get away with in your running. Quite often you may find that some pains can be run through, whilst others need more respect and time to heal.
I've come to accept that pain is just part of the whole running "thing". It's a rare occurence for a run of mine not to be accompanied by some degree of discomfort or other. It just makes those days when everything "clicks" and falls into place all that more valuable.:d

1 - 9 of 9 Posts