Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
not too sure what to make of this one, over the last few weeks I've been experiencing a dull burning ache in my right knee the day after a run. I did a seven mile easy last night and today the dull ache has manifested itself again, distance does not seem to effect the degree of discomfort or the duration of episode. I have had my gait looked at twice so I know I have the right shoes. I have heard that arthritis can give these symptoms :( but as I do not have a problem in other joints I am hoping this is not the case. Has anyone else out there have any experience of similar problems ?
As foot note I'm 46 years old and of the correct weight (ish) for my height, does this spell the end :eek:
smithy

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Never experienced what you describe, have you been to see a physio ?

I'm sure it does not spell of your running, does it ache whilst you are running ?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
That sensation can sometimes be caused by lack of sufficient lubrication in the joint. If it's not too severe you can rectify it through nutritional suppliments. It might be worth a trip to your GP just to check it though

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds possibly like Illiotibial band friction syndrome - thats if the pain is on the outside area of knee- the most common report of this condition is a burning sensation. A word of warning, having your gait analized by shoe shops is not accurate at all. They are not medically trained to say how your foot is functioning- all they can do is to say whether its flat or not. For a proper biomechanic assessment you will need to see a sports podiatrist.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all,
thanks for your replies so far, in answer to Granty no it does not ache/burn during the run, I have been very conscious of trying not to make the problem worse so warm up/down/stretch. I even upped the pace last night to catch up with three runners who had come in on the route at the halfway point and no pain on completion ! the ache does seem to emanate from behind the knee, perhaps that might narrow it down ?
again, thank you.
smithy

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Still think you need to get it checked out, but have you tried running in a different pair of trainers to see if it helps ?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'm guessing it's not going to be the trainers, but as has been said... a gait analysis in a shop will only give you the right shoes to prevent any overpronation etc, it won't tell you what's going on with the rest of your body!

It's quite possible that you have some kind of muscular imbalance causing extra strain on that knee that you will need to correct with exercises/stretches - if you get a chance then a biomechanical assessment may well be worth consideration (I had one done for £50 - see the 'Biomechanical Assessment' thread)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cricky premierphysio I had put quite a bit of faith into the video of my running (lack of style):d I did use a pair of moderate motion control shoes (saucony omni 10) but found over longer distances I was getting shin splint so moved over to a shoe with less control and more cushioning (again saucony) no shin splint now but knee :( OK folks I'll take myself off to the vets, keep you posted.

ta for now
smithy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts