Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i started running a month or so ago but on my last run over a week ago part way through both my knees started hurting,
being the fool that i am i continued, right after i had finished that run i could barely walk with pain behind the knee, & still now after taking a week off they aren't fully recovered. they still don't want to extend properly when i walk downstairs.
i'm yet to get my gait checked out as i can't afford a new pair of trainers til i get my first pay check since feb, next week (been travelling) so with that done & new trainers in hand or on foot, i was wandering isn't a week enough time to recover? should i wait another week & is it worth getting knee braces? i'm really itching to get back running & i know its gonna be real hard to stop myself in the coming week, i had to be content with a walk today :(

thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Be content with a walk until you sort your trainers. I lost three weeks when I popped my ankle, it is worth letting things heal at this early stage.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Recovery time can vary massively from a couple of days to a couple of weeks, or in some instances several months - that's injuries in general, not purely knee injuries.

You'll be much better off waiting for your knee to recover before running again, any time spent resting now will almost certainly be a lot less time than if you try to start running again too early and do further damage!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all good advice, but you know what its like i just wanna run & run & run :( roll on next friday when i will have enough money to buy my first proper runners :)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
all good advice, but you know what its like i just wanna run & run & run :( roll on next friday when i will have enough money to buy my first proper runners :)
I know the feeling. I am coming up to three weeks off. Good news is my pain seems to have disappeared when walking - but I have gone back too quickly before and paid the price - so am going to give it another week at least of being pain free before I even go for a light jog.

The worst consequence of impatience, is ending up back at square one, (or worse)!

Good luck :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The worst consequence of impatience, is ending up back at square one, (or worse)!

Good luck :)
true, but its so bloody annoying & i'm starting to feel FAT again

but the knees are pretty good now after about 10 days rest, i can now walk downstairs like a normal mid 20's person instead of like my grandma :d

been walking 4 or 5 miles every day just to keep um working

Hopefully going to get my gait checked on sat & buy some decent runners, even if it does mean i have to go all the way to Bath (50 miles) theres no decent shops where i live :((

1 - 10 of 10 Posts