Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Since Christmas I have been experiencing pain in my right knee. It doesn't always happen, seems fine when going up hill or on level ground but is rather painful when running down hill! My usual run when the pain started was around 4.5 miles, the first half a mile being a quite steep up hill gradient followed by about 1 mile on the flat ... it was when I started on the flat that the pain began ... very slightly at first but got progressively worse as I began the decend back down to home. I have seen a physio several times who said that it was caused by stress (my brother had been very ill and passed away at the beginning of February) combined with the fact that I bought new trainers in January! She did all sorts of stretches on me to relieve the tension and advised me only to run short distances on level roads until I was stronger, after many visits and £40 for each 20 minute consultation I appeared to be on the mend. I have since been running an average of around 3.5 miles on level roads with slight inclines and all seemed to be fine and I was feeling much more optimistic. Today however I had pain again in my knee but this time I had only been walking along the Dorset coastal path with my family. Again it was fine going uphill but I began to feel pain again when coming down hill. We decided to cut the walk short so as not to agravate it any more. I'm really sorry for such a long post but wonder if anyone could shed any light on my injury ... I'm not really 100% convinced with the physio's conclusion and I can't afford to keep going back to her! I'm hoping to walk up Helvelin in Cumbria in the summer so I could really do with getting this sorted out pretty quickly! Any advice would be very much appreciated! :d Thank you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Sarah!

I've found that on this site a specialized therapist can answer your questions.

Haven't tried it, so I don't know if it's a reliable service... it's free anyway, so maybe worth trying.

I hope it helps, and I hope you feel better soon!!! :)

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Sorry to hear of your injury woes Sarah :( did the physio watch you in motion as part of the diagnosis? As you may have read I recently had a biomechanical assessment which highlighted any problems I was having through watching what my body was doing - when you can see what's going wrong it's easy to see where the resulatant strain/pain will occur and also therefore be able to identify the cause!

I'm sorry I can't offer any kind of answer myself - but my brain tells me that if you're not convinced with the physio's conclusion, then she's probably not identified the cause. In my experience, when ever I've been ill, the only time I've been properly cured is when I feel the doctor has understood me, and is then able to tell me what other symptoms I'm probably suffering with; then I get a feeling of "yes, he knows exactly what my problem is, and he'll be able to fix it"

Have you increased your training load since the new year? or perhaps had a bit of a break over December? Just wondering if it's come about through an increase in training...

I hate to critique people who ever never met and/or dealt with - but if I was told that a pain in my knee that developed when running was caused by emotional stress I'd already be thinking they're clutching at straws. Were your new trainers in January properly fitted? (i.e. gait assessment?). The buying of new trainers in Jan may just be a co-incidence, but as someone trying to diagnose a problem, if someone comes up to you and says "Since January I've been suffering with pains in my knee" and you ask what's changed since January, to which they reply "I bought new trainers" - I can see how it'd be very easy to think "BANG! Problem solved".

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice Richard. No, the physio never once looked at how I moved despite me suggesting that a gait assessment might be a good idea! I even took my trainers with me to every session just in case! I've done a search on google and found a shop in Portsmouth that does the bio mechanical assessments like the one you had, its a bit of a treck from here but I think its definately worth a go. I havn't run at all this week because I'm now quite wary of doing any damage that might set me right back!:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts