Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great! For the last couple of days I have had an achy sort of pain in my left knee. It's not too bad but can hurt a little when I walk. :(

I don't really want to stop running as I'm doing so well. I did more of a jog yesterday than a run instead.

Any thoughts or ideas? :confused:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Does it hurt more walking downhill or going down stairs?, I had ITBS a while ago and it started with a dull ache in the outside of the knee and went on render me like an old man :d

Mine was caused by a large increase in mileage suddenly but a sports massage fixed the problem.

Hope its fixed soon.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Kylie

It could be a few things:-

Too much too soon

Camber in the road, if you are running the same route all the time and the camber on the pavement/road will definitely have an effect.

Incorrect running shoes, although I am sure yours are fine.

There was a previous thread regarding knee pain if the above is not relevent to you, there might be some helpful information there too.

Hope this helps TT :d

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Both,

Many thanks for your advice. I've never had any sort of knee pain before so am a litle worried.

I try not to always run the same route but it can be a little hard for where I live.

I've just recently bought myself some new running trainers and they seem to have cleared up my shin pain pretty much instantly which is amazing!

My knee isn't swollen or anything like that but I'm finding it hard to walk up the stairs and to wear heals. (A good excuse to wear trainers to work)! ;)

Do you think I'll be ok to keep training?

Quite like the sound of a sports massage - especially if it's by a nice young good looking guy!! :embarrassed:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
You'll probably be able to keep running...I had knee pain when I first started running many moons ago and now rarely suffer in that area. I think that's because my knees have strengthened with time.

Sports massage is good, albeit painful! Prefer, excuse me, a Kylie lookalike myself!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, that's good. I was actually a little concerned that the amount of running I do would make me worse in the long run. So that's put my mind at rest a bit! Thanks Steve!

Am also pleased you think I'll be ok to keep running. I feel bad if I don't go for my daily run!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I went through a period of having sore knees too kylie.I ran through it and it cleared up within a couple of weeks.I'm not saying that that's what you should do though!
Steve's comment was probably right in my case and perhaps my knees just needed to strengthen up.Hopefully it's not any more than that for you.:)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Could be your quads are a little weak Kyles? Pain going up the stairs usually associated with PFP rather than ITBS do you notice if it hurts more after sitting for long periods? When you run is the pain at the beginning and does it ease after running a bit or does it come on after running for a while and steadily get worse? Where abouts does it ache - in the centre, at the back of the knee or just below the knee cap?

You can do some simple knee strengthening exercises at home to strengthen the quads and you need to make sure your stretch properly after runs. I have a desk based job and I like to stretch regularly during the day as my hamstrings and quads can get a bit tight.

You do get all sorts of niggles when you start running but its a good idea to listen to your body so they don't develop into an injury - that means by posting on here you are doing the right thing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm, maybe that's my problem. I always stretch before I run but not always after.

I'm finding that the pain is fine when I'm running, it's when I stop. It's all around the front of my knee but seems to be worse towards the left. It's ok when I'm sitting, I'm not finding it gets worse after being in one position for a long time. It's most painful if I try and kneel down.

I'd like to try and run through it if I can like Hot Foot says but I don't want to make it any worse.

Do you think a knee support would help while I run at the moment?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I wore a knee support for quite a while but couldn't say whether it made a difference. It did keep my knee area warm though....and was horribly sweaty when I took it off!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Perhaps introduce stretching after exercise aswel kylie,see what happens then.
Also,out of curiosity,it's still quite cold outside and I wondered if whether you are running in shorts, your knee joints are not really warming up that much when you run and perhaps this is contributing to a sort of stiffness within?Pure guess work you understand!
:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the link Dave, it looks a little better than a normal support bandage. I should imagine it would get a bit sweaty like Steve says. :huh:

I'm not running in shorts yet, I'll wait until the summer for that so I don't think it's the cold that's making my knee like this.

Will definitely have to start stretching a bit better I think.

Thanks for all the advice as always guys! :d

·
Registered
180 Posts
knee pain

:( Hi kylie i have been running for four months now abd have just started getting pain in my knees have you sorted out your problem yet, maybe you can give me some tips.
Kylie said:
Ah, that's good. I was actually a little concerned that the amount of running I do would make me worse in the long run. So that's put my mind at rest a bit! Thanks Steve!

Am also pleased you think I'll be ok to keep running. I feel bad if I don't go for my daily run!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts