Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My right knee has been getting very painfull recently ,so much that i'm thinking of giving running up wih the relentless injuries i've been getting.I can't kneel down anymore because of the pain also walking downstairs is very painfull but going up is ok plus its particually painfull when i'm putting my sock on tenderness in my quads also coincides with the knee pain although this usually goes a couple of days after a run.

I run with trainers from my local running shop after i had a gait test and i only run 2 times a week after scaling down from 4 days running.Any ideas before i go and see a physio and spending more money

Thx Gaz

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Sounds to me like a visit to a physio will be money well spent. It's probably something that can be easily rectified at this stage, with some physio/sports massage and a fair amount of stretching.

If you leave it, you may regret it later in life...whether you give up running or not.

At least get yourself a diagnosis so you know where the problem comes from. Then you can make a decision as to what you want to do next.

Good luck

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I've just had a peek at your posting history, and I can see that you've been through it!

Firstly I'm not convinced that your physio is giving you value for money, but where you go from there I don't know. What region are you in?
Maybe it'd be worth going to your GP, telling them what you've been through and trying to get to see a NHS physio. Even if it takes some time, it will eventually save you some money.

Secondly, I've had problems with that particular Brooks shoe myself in the past. Maybe you should go and get another opinion. Asics do free gait analysis in some areas, they are very good and you don't necessarily have to buy an Asics shoe...just say you're thinking of buying some new runners soon...that's what I did ;)

Thirdly, I'm not saying that this is the case for you, but I've heard of so many people having problems adjusting to Orthotics. I don't think they are always the answer, and sometimes even make things worse.

Finally, stretching... do you stretch? Do you stretch correctly, and do you stretch enough? It's tedious I know but not stretching enough or correctly is the major cause of so many injuries. Basically tendons and muscles tighten up after a run, so they need to be stretched out again. If you don't, then next time you run they tighten even more. This keeps happening until something has to give, which is when injuries happen.

Hope this gives you some pointers

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems Gaz hopefully the suggestions Trinity has made will help make the difference between running or not, keep us posted on how you get on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for the suggestions Trinity,i suppose i don't really stretch after a run i either go for a 20 minute bike ride or a 10 minute walk,i think i'd better add some stretching to it :)

I've been wearing a knee support for the past couple of days and it has eased alot,i can even kneel down now :) I've got the Coventry half marathon a week Sunday and i'm getting a bit worried i'll loose my fitness for it if i don't do any running over the next week,i was upto 12 miles on my long runs averaging 8.30 minute miles and even feeling i could easily do another 5 at the end.Can my fitness go down dramatically after having 3 weeks out before a half marathon?I might do a small run next week.

I live i Fradley by Lichfield,Staffs.I want to see a physio but it costs so much,so a trip to the docs might be best.

Cheers Gaz

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I'm glad your knee is beginning to improve. Try and treat it with as much care as you can while it's healing.

You won't lose anything worth worrying about for the half marathon. The best you can do now is get the knee as recovered as you can before the event.

If you can go for a couple of shortish gentle runs between now and then, do so...it'll just keep you loosened up more than anything. But make sure you stretch as much as you can after each run or cycle, particularly the ITB stretch...I promise you it will help. Google 'ITB stretching' if you're not sure of how.

Have you got access to a gym? A cross trainer is often a useful piece of equipment in situations like this, you can get a fairly decent work out without the jarring on your knees that running can give you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just thought i'd do an update on this injury.

I went to see a physio last night and she diagnosed that my inner thigh mscle is not as strong as my outer one so instead of my knee sliding up and down when i run,it slides over to the right which is whats been giving me the pain.I think its called runners knee.Anyhow she's gave me some excercises to strenghten my inner muscle so it''ll correct my kneecap when running.

She was alot better than my last physio!

Gaz

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i'm never trusting private physio's again:mad:
I've been to visit a friend of ours who's a NHS physio she gave me a full check-up on my whole legs and she's diagnosed me with being flat-footed which also coincides with the ankle injury i had earlier in the year on the same leg.
My knee is swollen so she's put me on a 3 week ibuprofen course before i go see the muscle skeletal department at her hospital.
She's also advised me to get some custom made orthotics to make my knee move back into the right position when i'm standing.
Hopefully i can get some soon as i got in for the London Marathon 2008 through the Downs Sydrome Association which my youngest son Jake has. Ifeel quite proud they've chosen me and don't want to let any1 down:embarrassed: as i have't run since the beginning of November because i want to get my knee right.

Regards Gaz

Track Racer i'm based in Fradley,Lichfield;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts