Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am new to the forum, and i could do with some advice.
I had an arthroscopy done on my knee about 18 months ago, where they shaved down the bone as I was getting a lot of pain on the outside of knee, it took 6 month physio to recover.
now the problem is back, and the pain is worse than ever, I am having problems getting up and down stairs, and it even painful when walking, it swells as the day goes on but the pain never goes away, also my hamstring is really tight, who do I need to see, the physio or the consultant who did the operation.
I have also injured my other knee kicking a plastic football to my grandson, as I kicked the ball something in my knee went pop, ever since I am getting pain when walking on uneven ground and uphill.
any advice please
Di

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i'm guessin here but it could be something serious...

?anterior cruciate ligament injury...

"Symptoms of an ACL injury include hearing a sudden popping sound, swelling, and instability of the knee"

but given your age and knee history it may be osteoarthritis...

no way of telling... you really need to see your GP to get a referral to your surgeon asap so you can find out what's wrong...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
knee pain

hi
Thanks for your reply, I have been to see my GP today, she hasn't looked at the knee she only sent me for an xray, would this show up an ACL injury.
I was suprised that she didn't even examine it, the problem is the pain is getting worse when walking uphill and on uneven ground, I am thinking of seeing another GP for a second opinion, as it will be another 10 days before I get the results. of the xrays.
Do you think I am doing the right thing, as I am concerned I might be doing more damage. I am 54 but until this happened my knee was fine.
Di

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
dianedhllnd said:
hi
Thanks for your reply, I have been to see my GP today, she hasn't looked at the knee
That doesn't surprise me...

Some GPs are shocking...

Ligament tears do not show on an X-ray... You would need an MRI scan I think...

You would be able to diagnose it yourself if you had it...

The test is called 'draw test'...

You lie down, bend the knee and get someone to pull the lower leg...

If the you can pull the leg away then the ligament is torn or damaged...

like this (in the video it's normal btw):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2g5gEfkKAY

It may not be this... I am guessing...

As you had a knee operation before, it is probably the same as whatever caused your original knee problem - so nothing to do with ligaments...

Definitely go back to your GP and make sure they examine your knee properly...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
knee pain

hi
Not posted for a while as I have had an op on my shoulder, an ASAD whatever that means.
I have finally had the results of the xray on my knee, I don't know what the xray shows but I have to go back to the GP for the results.
Thanks for the advice I will keep you posted on the knee problem and what the xrays show up.
Di

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
knee pain

Hi
I have been back to see the GP about my knee problems, he has referred me to the physio the only problem is there is a 12 week waiting list, even though I am in constant pain, which is stopping me from sleeping, the swelling in my knee is now down to my ankle, the earliest appointment the physio could offer me is the 4th of September. one of the GP's I have suggested that some of the pain may be due to fibromyalgia
have you and advice you can offer me while i am waiting.
thanks Di

·
Registered
13 Posts
you mention that you have had ASAD (Arthroscopic sub acromial decompression)
Generally that would be followed up with physio. Are you not getting any? - if not you could ask your consultant to refer you, and then ask the physio to give you some advice on your knee as well

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
knee pain

thanks Janeho,
yes I am having physio on my shoulder, he has only gave exercise sheets to do no actual treatment, but he is only a trainee physio, so I don't know if he will be able to help, i am seeing him in two weeks, but he is due to sign me off then, The physio i had before for my knee was one that the hospital referred me too, she signed me off in August, the trouble is i cannot see her this time as its a GP referral, the only way i could see her again would be to go back to the GP, to be referred back to consultant that did the op, then he would have to refer me for more physio which would probably take longer.
So I don't know what to do for the best, it would be more helpful to see the consultants physio as she knows the problems i have, as she gave me 6 months physio, but i think all I can do is wait until September, would it help to keep a diary rather than explain all my problems to a different physio.
thanks again for the advice Di

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
knee pain

Hi
went to see the Physio again today about my shoulder, I asked his advice as Janeho suggested about the pain and swelling in my knee, He said he also thinks its to long to wait until September to see the physio for treatment, he said i should go back to the GP so i can be put further up the list, so I can be seen sooner, As he thinks it is getting worse and I need to be seen sooner.
So back to the GP to see what happens next, I think it would have been quicker to have been referred to the consultant, As I think thats whats going to happen in the end, as the pain and swelling was due to an injury a few months ago, and its not settling down, if anything its getting worse.
regards Di

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i will be blunt (so apologies in advance) but i do not think i should have replyed like i did... i am not qualified to give medical advice online and even if i was i should not be doing so... i suggest you follow any of your problems up with your GP...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi revenged
I am grateful for the advice you gave me, And i took it only as advice, i did as
you advised and went back to my GP, He has now given me medication to take down the inflammation down in the muscle in my leg, And written again to the physio to get me in quicker, As the problem is coming from my knee, So the advice you gave me has helped .
thanks again for your replies i hope i haven't offended anyone
regards Di

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
infected leg

Hi
Thanks to everyone for the advice about my knee, I have continued to have problems with my knee, thanks to a different physio who was concerned about the swelling in my leg, following his advice I went back to see another GP she has prescribed flucloxicillin a strong antibiotic to hopefully get rid of the swelling and infection in my leg, I am on my third day no improvement yet, but two more days to go, trouble is it feels like the infection is in the shin bone.
Di

1 - 13 of 13 Posts