Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just had 10 days off with what I thought was a thigh/knee injury.
Went out yesterday, thigh still a bit tight but alll in all, not to bad... except for my knee that is.
After run, my knee began to ache, a dull sort of ache which feels like its coming from behind my knee cap.
I can bend and straighten it and theres no swelling.
I thought I'd get an opinion from you top people before I take a trip to the dr's.

Cheers

·
Registered
419 Posts
stupot said:
Hi all,
Went out yesterday, thigh still a bit tight but alll in all, not to bad... except for my knee that is.
After run, my knee began to ache, a dull sort of ache which feels like its coming from behind my knee cap.
I thought I'd get an opinion from you top people before I take a trip to the dr's.

Cheers
Knee's are hard to diagnose. The NHS queue's are long. Go see the doctor and get in the queue asap.

But also "a dull ache" doesn't sound too bad - so you might be able to run some short sessions on it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hollywood said:
Knee's are hard to diagnose. The NHS queue's are long. Go see the doctor and get in the queue asap.

But also "a dull ache" doesn't sound too bad - so you might be able to run some short sessions on it.

Good luck!

like hollywood says, can be hard to diagnose but from what you were saying I wonder if its perhaps a problem with your hip or upper leg muscles which can cause radiation of pain into your knee - wondering about things like iliotibial band syndrome or possibly just tightness in your hamstrings? What about maybe visiting a physio or trying a few hamstring stretches? But if all else fails prob worth seeing your doctor - they can refer you to physio too if need be...last thing worth mentionning - do your trainers need replacing? Niggles can sometimes be a sign...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
geordiebezza said:
like hollywood says, can be hard to diagnose but from what you were saying I wonder if its perhaps a problem with your hip or upper leg muscles which can cause radiation of pain into your knee - wondering about things like iliotibial band syndrome or possibly just tightness in your hamstrings? What about maybe visiting a physio or trying a few hamstring stretches? But if all else fails prob worth seeing your doctor - they can refer you to physio too if need be...last thing worth mentionning - do your trainers need replacing? Niggles can sometimes be a sign...

Hi guys
Thanks for your advise. I'm sure it aint my trainers as they are new, only a few miles old. I'm out for a run tonight, so I see how and what happens later.
I got some upper leg excercies from another website, which will hopefully strenghthen my quads, it doesn't feel as achy today, but It's likely to come back after a run.

Cheers

·
Registered
244 Posts
stupot said:
Hi guys
Thanks for your advise. I'm sure it aint my trainers as they are new, only a few miles old. I'm out for a run tonight, so I see how and what happens later.
I got some upper leg excercies from another website, which will hopefully strenghthen my quads, it doesn't feel as achy today, but It's likely to come back after a run.

Cheers
Could be that your trainers are causing the pain if they are a new type of shoe to you.

Worth getting looked at. I'd been having lots of knee pain, and it stemmed from a long chain of things that were wrong with me causing the knee pain eventually!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I'm having problems with my knees and my thighs as well. I do find if I've been sitting in a car for a long time they really stiffen up and its more uncomfortable walking downstairs or running downhills.

I was also wondering if it might be something simple like my shoes. I have a pair of cushioning shoes but wet footprint test sugests I'm somewhere between normal and flatfooted. I've tried inspecting my running shoes to see if there is evidence of wear & tear on one side or t'other but can't tell.

I've contacted the running shop I bought them from and they've asked me to bring them in and have advised that there is usually a simple solution. I've had them 3 months and when I was walk/running I did't notice any problems but since I've been running continously I've been noticing all sorts of aches and pains

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a similar aches in my knee joints, when i was a kid i bashed my knees to pieces and endup up with knee caps the size of baloons - i had to go to A&E and have the fluid removed (nice) was on crutches for over a month after that. Since then my knees have never been quite right.

For me, it's to do with having damaged cartilage behind my knee cap which causes friction in the joint. It's not to big a problem - except when it's cold ;) I just take Cod Liver oil capsules and some Glucosamine which helps a lot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gildster, I have the same cartilige (sp) problem. I get loud clicks and clunks from my right knee.
I am on an NHS waiting list to get it looked at, I wont hold my breath though!
I'm not bothered though, it is not a major problem.

When I was a kid I used to dive off of the sofa and land on my knees. My mum used to say that I would regret that when I was older. She was right and regularly reminds me of it too!:embarrassed:

·
Registered
1 Posts
stupot said:
Hi all,

Cheers
Hi, have you considered maybe Tendinitis. I recently completed the 3Peaks and suffered the same sort of problem, from the top of Scarfel all the to the end of Sowdon. got very painful and eventually shooting pains in my knee if it was twisted or bent somehow (not good when walking on a mountain). have a look at the following link.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tendinitis/DS00153/DSECTION=10

ran the Elmbridge 10k this morning and after about 5k the pain came back which trashed my time. am sitting here now with foot raised which is a big help

hope this helps you, good luck

·
Registered
310 Posts
I to suffer with a knee problem and have to wear an elasticated support to run.

I have looked at every type of knee injury in the medical book, looking for a quick fix.

What you have sounds a bit like 'Chondromalacia', look it up on the net.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts