Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Knees again.(mine this time).

Since I have increased my milage over the last month I have started to have a problem with my right knee.

On Sunday it started to feel sore after around 10 miles and by the time I had finished the scheduled 16 miles plus it was becoming a problem.

The pain is centred below my Kneecap just to the right of centre.

I havn`t run since Sunday and the Knee has really settled down again as it did last week when I had the same the problem.

Sorry to be a bit long winded but I was wondering if any body had any ideas about what is best to do and recommendations in respect of a knee support I could try.

My main aim at the moment is to be in the best shape I can be for my 1st half Marathon on March 25th.

Thanks. Dave.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Dave,
I used to suffer knee pain and wore a knee support for a while. Not sure it did any good but it did provide support and kept knee area warm.

I think my knee pain arose due to increasing my mileage when I was less experienced as a runner and therefore tried to do too much too soon. If you are aiming for your 1st 1/2m you don't need to be running further than that in training.

"Touchwood" ... I've not had knee problems for a few years now and think it's down to having run regularly and therefore the knee has naturally got stronger.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
You could try a jumpers knee strap - I'm thinking classic runners knee where the patella is maltracking in its little femoral groove. There may be some imbalances in your quads so you may want to think about strengthening those - running backwards for a couple hundred yards each day or straight leg raises. How old are your shoes?

Do you get any pains walking up or down stairs? If so which is worse? I've been getting sore knees as I've increased my mileage as well as sore shins. I did wear some shock absorbing insoles in my shoes on Sunday and I haven't suffered with any knee pain but did get a huge blister (obviously too thick with my orthotic). I'm starting to wonder if I still haven't got my pronation under control.

Does the pain disappear quite quickly after your runs? It could be just your body adapting to the mileage but there is no harm in strengthening those quads particularly the inner ones.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I probably am running too far at the moment as my training blog shows Steve,but to be honest I am really enjoying the challenge of going on long Sunday morning runs with a group of fantastic people who are training for the FLM.

maybe I`ll try running a bit less during the week and try a support to see if it helps.

Anyboby got any recommendations of Knee supports ?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
And your training blog shows an increase of more than 10% from Jan to Feb.!!

Could you perhaps join the FLM runners 3/4 miles down the course or cut your run with them short? Easier said than done I know!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Try a jumpers knee strap Dave - one that you place below the knee cap. It'll need to be quite tight but obviously not restrict the blood flow otherwise your leg may drop off.

Cho-pat do for for around £17.00 but you can get cheaper versions for around £10. I bought a pair of patt strpas from the states for around $10.00. They are made of foam and did provide the tension to hold my knee cap in place but tended to twist easily.

Have a look on www.physioroom.com or www.return2fitness.co.uk

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that guys.

Edwina.

My shoes have done around 120 miles,so I don`t think that is a problem,But what you said about insoles reminded me that about 3 weeks ago I took my sorbathane insoles out of my shoes because of a bit of discomfort and replaced them with the original Brooks insoles.I wiil change them back to see if it makes a difference.

The pain takes around 2 days to ease off,and to be honest I just hope that it is just my body adapting to the extra milage.

Thanks again. Dave

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Edwina.

Visited Runners Needs last week and bought a Patella brace that has a strap that fits under the Knee cap as you advised.
I have used it on all my runs since and found that it really does take the pressure off that part of the knee.
Not a cure I know,but a great improvment.

Thanks again for the advice. Dave.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
No problem will be interesting to see when you next come to buy a pair of shoes if you gait has changed.

I've decided to go back to the pod to get my orthotics checked.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi Dave,

I too only ran upto 10 miles the week before my Half Marathon last year, I like you was running longer a long while before and I had severe pains in the outside of my knee (ITBS syndrome or something)

I found cutting the mileage down and then increasing it more gradually really helped.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Granty.

I`ve got 3 weeks before the Brentwood 1/2,which will be my first, so after this Sunday I don`t think I will be doing anything longer than around the 13 mile mark.

My real problem has been that I havn`t been doing any tempo runs,and I`m sure this will show in my time come the race.

But It is my first,so all I have to do is finish for a PB.........................

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Dave said:
Granty.
But It is my first,so all I have to do is finish for a PB.........................
That's wrong!!, you MUST beat my PB (infact the only race I have ever done) 2:18

I have every faith and indeed a pint of ALE that says you will do (with ease) :d

Best of luck matey.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers Granty

I see your running a 1/2 on the same day. So I`m sure your PB will be lowered on that day. Close to 2 hours I reckon..............

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
That's very true, I had forgotten about that - We'll see who gets nearest to 2 hours.

I'd love to be able to say I have run a HM in 1.something hours but knocking 18 minutes off my last time maybe too big an ask this time. Still - the Bristol Half in September.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Granty said:
That's very true, I had forgotten about that - We'll see who gets nearest to 2 hours.

I'd love to be able to say I have run a HM in 1.something hours but knocking 18 minutes off my last time maybe too big an ask this time. Still - the Bristol Half in September.
Your right Granty under 2 hours would be nice,but like you, I think it is a bit to much to hope for this time around..............

I think I should have started this lark when I was 23 instead of 43..................:rolleyes:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Good luck with your races guys, looks like you've been doing some serious long runs in preparation. How do you put a future race in your profile by the way? I can't see an option anywhere.

I'm doing one on the 1st of April (more fool me) that I'd like to add.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Dave/Granty

Best of luck with your races you have put the work in so you have a good chance of getting a pb, it's always diffferent on the day you put in more effort than normal. :d

Lazyjones

I think there is a problem with the race links at the moment, but when they are working you search for your race, if it is not there then go to the add section and enter it in Admin will then put it into the listings and once it is on you will be able to add it by going back and searching for it again, hope that makes sense? :d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Granty said:
If you are 43 then that makes me ................................ 19! :asleep:

I started running when I was 43 ................I`m 45 now...........:eek:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts