Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Is it true that there is a correct way to tie your laces. I didnt know if this was a wind up.:embarrassed:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I've always tied mine the way me mum taught me!!

Some running shoes are designed to be tied in a ceratin way I understand but whether or not it makes a difference I've no idea.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I think what makes the true difference is how tight you tie them - tie them too tight and you'll give yourself foot ache, not tight enough and you get blisters...

There was an article in RW a while back about different ways to thread your laces through your shoes to HELP with certain foot-ache issues. I just tie mine the regular way though.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
indeed as ANS says, there was an article in RW a while back that described different lacing styles... there were various methods of lacing so that the pressure was more evenly distributed rather than what can happen with traditional lacing where it's very tight at the top but still a little loose at the bottom.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I was a cub scout as a kid so I use a combination of the Carrick bend and the Overhand knot:d

I've never heard about certain ways to tie laces. I do remember over tightening them once and I got some bad bruising from that, so I suppose there must be some sense in the whole thing.

Scouts honour:d

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here you go guys knock yourselves out!:p
http://www.shoe-lacing.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

For the record, ever wondered what the two, close together eyelets at the top of your running shoe were for? Well look at the last method on the page and you'll find out!
I got this from an Aussie in my local running shop, when you've fed the laces through the two loops you've made you use a "sawing" motion to tighten, then the loops stop the laces from coming loose!

I know, I've got too much time on my hands!!

·
Registered
707 Posts
LOL! That's impressive - I thought what RW had was a tiny bit pointless... but there ya go!

As for decorative laces, when I was 14 I had tartan laces in my skate shoes! I was well cool I was.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
i was shown by running shop man to tie them the butterfly way as it tightens the shoe around your ankle area.

:)

You can really feel the difference

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
there were some new ones on show at the expo on the weekend they looked interesting i know trinity has a pair perhaps when shes road tested them she'll post about them .

if i remember correctly you dont even have to knot them is that right Tin?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm sure that a week ago I'd would have ignored this thread, but as I am now suffering from a very painful blister, I'm tending to take it very seriously. In fact, I am even considering taking the weekend off from running....................Anyone any advice on how to avoid that? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all your replies at first when someone told me that there was a correct way of tying them I just thought it was a wind up.

And the man on that website must have too much time on his hands, it did make me laugh.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I was shown the lock lace method when I bought my first pair of shoes,and have used it even since.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts