Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks i have seriously lost my motivation for running. I just don't seem to be able to get my mind in the right zone. I only ran on tuesday for 15 minutes and thats all i have done this week. I think maybe its because i feel fed up in general and because i feel like i am getting nowhere. Also don't like entering any runs alone and no one do them with me. Do you think that physically some people are just not meant to be runners?

I just feel so tired and i can't seem to get on track with healthy eating and when i am eating crap i feel yukky as want get back to losing weight but struggling.

Well thats where i am up to at the moment !!!!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Trying to make massive changes is pretty hard... but there's plenty you can do in smaller chunks if that's more likely to work for you. Eating crap will tend to make you feel more depressed anyway, and probably tired/agitated, and probably more hungry for snacks too!

In terms of your running, I'm not sure what sort of training level you've been able to reach, but if you can manage over 30mins on your feet (be it walking or running) then go for that. I find it really hard to enjoy my very short runs as I just can't get into them very well - runs of 30mins+ I find gives me plenty of time to get into the zone and my mind is just completely cleared by the time I'm home - and it really makes me feel like it's been time well spent :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I struggle to get motivated unless I have specific aims.

It does not have to be training for a race (I have only ever entered one race), it could be just doing the training schedule, or it could be trying to get a specific time for a route you like running, or weight loss, or to do the 3 peaks, or a 100 mile bike ride.... or just to open up more doors....

I am not a born runner at all, I actually find it quite unpleasant and I have to push myself to keep on going. I have to use a programme to focus on, and then I know what I am doing and trying to achieve each day, each week, each month, each plan, otherwise its easy not do get out if I dont have my preplanned run to achieve for that day.

I used to eat $hit, drink, smoke, and bascially lead an unhealthy life style, but take it one day at a time, slowly slowly (I can catch a monkey), and you will end up leaving out things that dont make you feel so good...

Trying to change everything, at once, and run as if you have been running for years is not realistic.... set goals (starting small) and it will snow ball.... believe me.... I have only been running for a year, and the changes in my life have been massive.... :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Vonzy said:
Do you think that physically some people are just not meant to be runners?
No. In my far from expert opinion - I think that mentally, some people are just not meant to be runners.

Please don't take that as an insult. We're all different - and if running really doesn't float your boat, why not try something else?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
motivation tips:

1) plan three days to run a week to 10-15 minutes... jog or walk if you need...

2) plan your run before you do it - it will make you less likely to go home and give up

3) make an extra effort for the first two weeks of the plan, if you can do two weeks then it'll become a habbit and you won't have to work so much

4) keep a log of what you've done, you can surprise yourself with the progress

5) don't worry about how you are doing short term or taking a few days off... the secret of success is keeping continuing running for a long time... if you can last two weeks then it should become habit...

6) run outside instead of treadmil

7) join a running club

(the last two are probably the hardest things to do but they were definitely the best things i'd did...)

as for training with a group... it's up to you... it will mean you need to join a running club... i found it very useful when i started as it got me into running but in the long term i gave up with it... i did not enjoy it much and yet six months later i'm still at it (so i have the running club to thank for getting me into it)... tbh, i prefer flying solo where you can decide when, how far and how much you can run and all you need to do is put your shoes on and walk out the door and then you're ready... i don't want to dis running groups - it did me a lot of good... i think there are some really great people out there who help you when you are first starting get into it and put a lot of effort into motivating you... this is half the battle... i particularly disagree with your comment slowsteve... most of us have stressful lives and do not jump up and down with joy with the prospect of running another five miles when we aren't in the mood and have other things on our minds... when someone is lacking motivation then telling them to do something else is the worst thing to do... i always lack motivation when i'm tired..but i tend to run much faster when i am pissed off and stressed and when very much not in the mood for running... so exactly what is the right 'mentality' to run with ?!

i also think everyone can relate to the original poster... we all start off lost and clueless, thinking we are doing it wrong and not good enough... i can still remember it clearly and after getting bad pains after running i was debating whether to carry on with it... i almost didn't... as for feeling that you are getting nowhere, this is something i think everyone can relate to regardless to what standard they are at... i don't think mentally you need to kill yourself to be able to run... it's about making a effort to carry on... everyone improves... best not to think about what others do and concentrate on yourself and how you are doing (i find it hard to do also)... so i don't think it's nice to discourage people from running... someone doesn't join a running forum if they wanted someone to tell them to stop running and do something else... we all need encouragement...

·
Registered
298 Posts
100% agree Revenged

4) keep a log of what you've done, you can surprise yourself with the progress
Defo!

You can pull progress and patterns out week on week, month on month, that you would not actually realise and see otherwise...

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Possibly take the rest of the week off. Do things you enjoy and set a target to start again on Monday.

We all have off days and sometimes it is good to take a break.

·
Registered
514 Posts
oh, and for a quick fix, run a bath, light an incense stick, change your bed sheets so you have a fresh smelling bed to fall into, watch a light-hearted film with some healthy snacks and naughty ones mixed in too....then have good night's sleep. Wake up and start the day with a fruit smoothie and good heart-friendly breakfast and drink lots of water (mixed with lemon to make it taste good perhaps). It can work for me, but everyone is different!! What do you think?!

·
Registered
634 Posts
7.. i particularly disagree with your comment slowsteve... ... when someone is lacking motivation then telling them to do something else is the worst thing to do....so i don't think it's nice to discourage people from running...

Revenged, after two very valid posts on ways of increasing Vonzy’s motivation to run (by Richard and BASE813)– I made A SUGGESTION, “If running really doesn't float your boat, why not try something else?” It’s beyond me how you can interpret that to be “TELLING them to do something else” and concluding with “I don't think it's nice to discourage people from running”

I was just attempting to contribute another angle on the discussion. Is it really so out of the question that there may be other forms of exercise that Vonzy might enjoy and if he/she (sorry Vonzy – I’m not sure) doesn’t enjoy running then there is no harm in having a go at something else or at least giving it some thought.

My post was written with good intentions, you seem to have interpreted it as somehow being slightly malicious.

And in response to your question “What exactly is the right mentality to run with”. In my opinion, if you have a really hard race /training session that took you out of your comfort zone and then you go home knackered but looking forward to the next one – then you have the right mentality for running. Obviously we all have our off days - but if the bad days outweigh the good days then maybe it’s not beyond the realms of possibility to think about trying another sport.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks peeps, i am going to try and get back on track as the sense of achievement i felt the other week when i managed 9k on the treadmill etc. However i feel i am starting from scratch again as not ran proper for week and half or so, apart from odd 10 min job. I will see how i do tonight and then go from there, only problem is missing a week and half sets you right back. I think at the moment my problem is getitng in the right zone, i have alot on my mind which is holding me back.

will keep you updated !!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Vonzy,

its been a blessing reading this thread... I have been majorly suffering to try and keep up with runnning. Worse thing is in March, i entered myself into a half marathon for october, this was to try and give me a goal to work towards, i was doing great, built upto a good 10k distance in good time, but then stopped for too long, and now struggle to run for 15 minutes! annoying!

I read this yesterday and went for a gentle run last night! and am feeling motivated to pick back up again.

Let me know how you are getting on!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts