Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it when I'm brimming over the edge with motivation for running and everything else in my life I've lost all motivation to do my work?

I'm doing a PhD and it stresses the hell outta me sometimes, right now I have a symposium presentation about my work to date to do next week - haven't started it, I have a long report to write due in at the end of the month about my work - only done like a quarter of it... in the mean time I have a ton of teaching and moving house to be done in the next few weeks - and the Sheffield Half Marathon. You'd think the stress would make me work, but instead it's stalling me. I've never encountered this before in my life - probably because even as a scummy undergrad I never procrastinated... I dunno what to do :( I tried the not coming on here for a few weeks but I just found that I spent more time just staring in to space...

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
sounds like classic overload to me... give yourself a break

You need to seriously prioritise. Get on with stuff that is most urgent and then give yourself a break or reward when you've done that

Then move onto the next most important priority

I know this is not always as simple as it sounds but when it comes down to the nitty gritty one thing...or the cosequences of not doing that thing... always has an importance over something else, however slight.

As you work down the priorities it will become slightly less stressful and you will feel more in control

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Yeah, sounds to me like you've just got too much to think about... Like arriving at a cross-road, not being able to decide which way to go, and so ending up not going anywhere. As Trin says: "overload":(

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See, that's the thing, I remember the definition of stress from psychology class way back when as being when you percieve you're not in control and you can't cope - but I don't feel out of control per se, in fact I know I'm in control cuz I'm stopping myself working...

But priortising is a seriously good idea - only problem is I think it's going to involve me slacking off a bit from my lab work - my supevisor won't like that - but seriously I've done so much so far, he should be greatful I didn't, and am not taking off like 2 whole weeks like what other people have done... stupid freakin' RTP - seriously the hoops people make you jump through is bloody annoying - I'm doing a PhD to do science, not all this other crap - I learnt how to do a presentation in my degree - I just see all these things as a complete and utter waste of my time...

Today I left at like 2 o'clock to go running, I had been in since 8 and had done the the most important things... then just went home and I've been sitting staring at power point since... lol it's silly - but I've made a plan now for it, which means no more traffic jam of thoughts, just follow that... *sigh*

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
almost_no_specifics said:
See, that's the thing, I remember the definition of stress from psychology class way back when as being when you percieve you're not in control and you can't cope - but I don't feel out of control per se, in fact I know I'm in control cuz I'm stopping myself working...
... But why are you actively stopping yourself working when it's important that it should be done?

... And why have you been staring at Powerpoint. Did'nt you know that string is just as good?:d

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I knew the answer to that then... I wouldn't be doing it? That's the psycholanalyst point of veiw anyway.

I'm sorry to say but in the 21st century of molecular biology, I don't think string will cut it... for anything - I've used a lot of random things in the lab... but NEVER string... ever... I can't even think about a time when I WOULD use string...

Maybe when I take my bacterias out for walks it could be used as a leash? I could have gazzillions (ie lots!) all sitting on one centimeter of string...

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I'm sorry to say but in the 21st century of molecular biology, I don't think string will cut it... .
You see, that's where the scissors come in... Or aren't you allowed sharp implements?

... And are you allowed to take your bacterium for recreational walks. On string or otherwise?:)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...see... my soft toys don't show me up like this!! :p

You're right actually... i wouldn't be allowed to take them out of the department... the strains I use aren't in themselves TOO bad, just some E.coli.. however I've engineered a couple to carry and produce human cancer-testis antigens... but I'm fairly sure they'd be harmless, I mean I don't think they can secrete the protein, and even if they could I haven't actually proved they cause cancer yet... also I HOPE they're not harmfull because a couple weeks ago I spilled a huge pot of them on me like an idiot (AND I wasn't wearing my lab coat... I had to have my favourite jumper incennerated... that's taught me a lesson!). I'm fine so far... maybe I should take them on walks so that I'm not the only one who's f**ked.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
...see... my soft toys don't show me up like this!! :p

You're right actually... i wouldn't be allowed to take them out of the department... the strains I use aren't in themselves TOO bad, just some E.coli.. however I've engineered a couple to carry and produce human cancer-testis antigens... but I'm fairly sure they'd be harmless, I mean I don't think they can secrete the protein, and even if they could I haven't actually proved they cause cancer yet... also I HOPE they're not harmfull because a couple weeks ago I spilled a huge pot of them on me like an idiot (AND I wasn't wearing my lab coat... I had to have my favourite jumper incennerated... that's taught me a lesson!). I'm fine so far... maybe I should take them on walks so that I'm not the only one who's
f**ked.
I think that you're too involved with your work. You should learn to switch off and leave it all in the lab when you go home. That includes the micro-nasties that you were thinking of introducing to the (I'm sure) good people of Sheffield.
Maybe you could do something to take your mind of your work. Try a hobby or something. I've heard that running's good for relaxing and helping people to unwind. Why don't you give it a go?
I know where you could get some good (and some not so good) advice for beginners.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol running? I could never run! I'm far too lazy!

(I use my runs to think of ways of solving problems I'm having in the lab...)

But no, I think you're right - I think about it far too much.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Blimey ANS... I know what you mean exactly... sounds much like me at work, I know I have things to do, and I know they're 'important' and need doing yet I actively let myself do anything else possible!

I think you're lucky you run, without it you'd probably have had a breakdown by now! I know my runs help to clear all my thoughts and stresses... though i'm yet to come up with a way of earning my way doing a job that I love and want to come into everyday :( (if such a thing exists!)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
richardsimkiss said:
though i'm yet to come up with a way of earning my way doing a job that I love and want to come into everyday :( (if such a thing exists!)
I love what I do - there's nothing at all that I can think of that I'd rather do - even being paid to run... which is a bit scary... But yeah running "burns off" stress and worry as well as calories heh - actually being a girl I've gone out on a run totally pissed off at everything ever, and then realised whilst out and thinking about it that it's not actually that bad and I'm making a mountain out of mole hills. BUT trying to fit in my runs may have contributed slightly to my stress - my job isn't 9-5... it's as long as it takes to get done - and considering I want answers NOW which means spending longer in the lab to get as much done as possible... doesn't leave all that much time left for other things that are important, like running, relationships/friends/general fun and doing other work... at the end of the day I think I probalby didn't take enough relaxation time, and now I'm taking it... at a really inconvenient time he - I burnt myself out :(

No worries now - I have it under control now, I have prioritised and things are getting done as we speak! So I apologise for my rants. Thank you all anyways :d

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
richardsimkiss said:
Now you're talking! Can I have that job please? :rolleyes:
..That's not up to me, is it :p I bet if you wanted you could open your own running shop... or something running related AND of course I'm sure you could be a pro runner! Whatever you put your mind to... :d

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
He could be a allrounder as he gives loads of advice on this forum.

Pro Runner
Trainer
Advisor

:p

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I have thought about the possibility of starting up a running shop - though I'm at a loss as to how to even start... well okay that's a bit of a lie I know how most of it would work, but getting stock in is something I have NO idea about - where do you start with that? I tried contacting a few trainer manufacturers about suppliers but had no response. I wonder if I was missing something obvious!

Thanks for your posts though, they've certainly cheered me up an otherwise dull and gloomy day! Being a pro runner really would be a dream! Though it'd be quite the miracle for that to ever happen!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used to run a music eZine and we were affiliated with a ton of record companies, so that's how we got access to bands and all we did was literally carpet bomb them asking them to y'know... help us out - I'm sure it's much the same thing with running shops - you just gotta email around and put in orders and ask for help I guess. In terms of finding suppliers, if you go look at the manufactueres websites, they probably have a list somewhere of who supplies them - maybe they do it direct? Failing that - get a business loan and design and manufacture your own trainers lol!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I think any business of some nature is hard work Rich to get off the ground.

But it can be done... just hard work and banging on the right doors.

You could ask this chap, he used to be a runner (nearly pro) and then started to run his own shop.??

Ask him how he got the ball rolling Rich

he is a very nice chap and i know always happy to help, and you would not be a threat because your in Warwick and we are in Norwich

www.sportlink.co.uk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts