Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there

I'm completely new to running and have signed up for the 10K Race for Life at Lanhydrock. Does anyone know the course? It says 'a few steep hills', which is terrifying the life out of me - at the moment, I'm envisaging something like Everest! Please, if you have ever run this for a previous 10K, could you let me know how steep and how many?!

THANKS!

Alison

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Deep breaths Alison you have plenty of time to train and prepare yourself. Hills are not so scarey after a little practice and you can always walk up them it is allowed.

I only live down the road in Plymouth I did think about entering this last year but we always go on holiday in September.

I would find a good beginners training programme and try and stick to it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Don't worry about the hills. If they are too tough everyone will walk them. As you know there are hills in the course train on a hilly course. Even if you are going to walk the hills in the race, run them in training no matter how slowly. This will make them seem easy to walk up and you may even feel like running them in a race. Make friends with hills before the race and you will do well.

Living in Cornwall there is no choice but to get to get used to hills.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a million! I'm kind-of following the Runners World training programme, but it is great to have direct advice from an experienced runner, so I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I'm determined to at least try to run all the way: wish me luck!

AB

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Edward Chapman said:
Don't worry about the hills. If they are too tough everyone will walk them. As you know there are hills in the course train on a hilly course. Even if you are going to walk the hills in the race, run them in training no matter how slowly. This will make them seem easy to walk up and you may even feel like running them in a race. Make friends with hills before the race and you will do well.

Living in Cornwall there is no choice but to get to get used to hills.
Thanks, Edward, I shall try to befriend my nearby hills instead of letting them frighten me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts