Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sort of distance do other people do as their final long run the Sunday the week before a half marathon? Is it a recommended percentage of the race distance itself or does it vary? As I've only done the one before, I can't remember what distance I did last time as my final longer run and don't want to over-do it if I can help it.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Rob said:
What sort of distance do other people do as their final long run the Sunday the week before a half marathon? Is it a recommended percentage of the race distance itself or does it vary? As I've only done the one before, I can't remember what distance I did last time as my final longer run and don't want to over-do it if I can help it.

What do you usually do on that day?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, on the previous couple of Sundays I've done 10.5m, 11m and 12m later today.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
My last long run before a 1/2m would be of the same distance as the race...but I'm a regular 1/2marathoner so would find this no problem. 10 miles is probably enough.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Steve
I'll bear that in mind. I did the 12 just this afternoon and my legs were fine until I hit the last mile and they started to tire, although I did hit the 11 mile mark nearly four minutes faster than last Sunday so there must be some improvement.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's Redcar Half, Steve. Did it last year for first time. I live there so it's very handy on my doorstep.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I think everyone's different, I tend to have quite a restful week coming up to a race. For a half I'd probs do no more than 10miles on the Sat then two steady 4-5 mile runs during the week leading up to the race with a few strides in there.

I imagine some people would say that's probably cutting back more than I need to, but it seems to work quite well for me :)

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
I think everyone's different, I tend to have quite a restful week coming up to a race. For a half I'd probs do no more than 10miles on the Sat then two steady 4-5 mile runs during the week leading up to the race with a few strides in there.

I imagine some people would say that's probably cutting back more than I need to, but it seems to work quite well for me :)
I tend to do a similar last week to you before a race and it seems to work for me too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts