Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would recommend it's best to do get as much 'safe' training in as possible 2 weeks before a 13km race so that you won't get injured but you can maybe knock a few seconds off your finishing time.
I'd obviously be devastated to injure myself that close to a race but I want to improve my fitness before it. What do you think I should do?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Elliot,

It's hard to judge without knowing your training for the last few weeks but a good thing to do in the next few days would be a couple of miles easy, 3 miles at your proposed race pace and then a couple of miles easy.

I wouldn't do any hard or very long workouts after that or run too many miles befor your race. Keep your number of runs up but keep it fairly easy.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I meant to do the 2 easy, 3 race pace, 2 easy once in the next few days, not everyday for the next few days - that would be asking for an injury!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well my training recently has been very inconsistent to say the least.
These are my runs in April and May

11/4 - 3.36 miles
13/4 - 1.93 miles
14/4 - 1.93 miles
16/4 - 3.36 miles
21/4 - 1.93 miles
27/4 - 1.93 miles
28/4 - 3.23 miles
30/4 - 1.93 miles

4/5 - 3.36 miles
9/5 - 3.36 miles
15/5 - 3.36 miles

Not very consistent as you can see! :(
I've busy recently and haven't had time for many runs. Hope that helps you to make a better judgement on my training.
Thanks LazyJones

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, you can see from those distances that I've gave you, that you overestimated me.
I'm a beginner still and I can't run more than about 3 and half miles without stopping. :rolleyes:
I'm obviously going to have to walk a lot of my race on the 1st June!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i think you realise your mistake... it would have been more sensible to start with 5k (and not signing up for an 8 mile race you would struggle to complete)...

tbh, some people have the wrong idea with running races... particularly with the guys - they seem to think it makes you a better runner (and more of a man) if you can prove to the world that you can run a further... it really doesn't though... it's about both distance and speed... and if you think about it for the experienced runners - it's all about speed as completing the race distance is rarely a problem...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it's a charity run you see.
I was asked if I would do it for a leukaemia charity for a hospital in Birmingham. It's not really important what time I get, as long as I finish it however I would like to finish as quick as possible because I'm naturally a competitive person. There are several of my friends running it as well, and I wouldn't want to finish last out of us lot. :d

If it was a competitive race, you are completely right Revenged, I would have been stupid to enter that straight away. ;)

I'll be able to run 4 miles tops without stopping then it'll be fartlek til the end most probably!

Also, I have run/walked this race 2 times before, but have never pursued my training between runs so I know I can finish it. :)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
sounds fun - i don't think i could get my friends to run to Mcdonalds let alone to do a 13k race!

i would suggest that you try jogging for as long as you possilby so you can get used to doing the distance... i'm not a fan of walk/run - it has never been something i've done but then again i've never been in long distances races (certainly am not a 'competitive runner' - i still think i'm rubbish ;))... it does take time to increase the distance so obviously there are limits to what you can achieve so close to the race but i think you can do at least a couple of 5 miles jogs before the race... you may surprise yourself at what you can do... the furthest i've ran is 7 miles (which is just shorter than your race) so i think i'd find 8 miles a pretty hard distance to complete as well... but good luck !

i would suggest that you try and start as a slow jog and maintain this for as long as you possibly can... you should be able to complete ~5 miles like this without too much problem... after this point you may find that it is difficult to maintain this same speed as you'd feel pretty dead... trust me - at this point you won't be able to do fartlek (fartlek is alternating between sprints and jogs)... it is much easier to jog at a slow constant pace than to run fartlek...

i know you will probably need to take a breather for a minute and will probably have to walk some of the way... but just remember after you have walked for a bit and recovered you need carry on at the same pace or slower than you were going before you walk - otherwise you won't be able to maintain this speed for the rest of the race and you'll quickly have to stop for another breather...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Revenged that was really helpful. I've noticed on that last point that when I do begin running after a rest, I have a tendancy to run off quicker and I do get tired very quickly again.

I struggle to jog slowly (when I say slowly, I mean so it feels like I'm wasting energy by running at such a pace). When I go for a run, I try to go off slow, but end up speeding up because it is so painfully slow. I'll just try and get over that and keep at a slow jog!

Also, I made the mistake of thinking fartlek was just going at two alternate paces, not sprinting and jogging! I'd never manage that. I meant I'll jog/walk at the end. :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Elliot,

Apologies if I overestimated where you are but no worries. I think Revenged is right, you are probably going to have to do a couple of walk breaks so maybe a good target would be to run it in 2/3/4 blocks with a minute walk between each. And also try to slow down, you may find you can run a coulpe of miles further than you think. Don't try and do too much before the day as you don't want to be sore after a couple of miles on the day. Good luck and make sure you enjoy the day more than anything else!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts