Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a week to go until my first race (10k) and I can't decide whether to go to running club for intervals on monday or not! The dilemma: went last Monday & it was great but my legs were knackered until at least Thursday. So don't know whether better to stick to gentle runs this week in the hope of fresh legs for the race OR one last push? What do you guys think?

Also, this may seem like a stupid question but what is the best way to warm up at race? I normally start my runs with fast walk, slow jog, before my normal running pace but don't really want to start the race walking but can't work out where to warm up - if there's 1800 runners near the start all trying to warm up aren't we just going to crash into each other? :confused:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
There's nothing you can do now that will make you run any faster at the 10k...just do some easy training runs to keep your legs moving. I would have rest days on Friday and Saturday though.

As for the pre race warm up...just have a gentle 5 minutes jog followed by some gentle stretches. I'm sure there'll be other people doing the same so take some tips from them.

It's really just to warm up the muscles and ease the tension.

Good luck, which 10k are you doing? We are doing the Glastonbury 10k the same day :)

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I wouldn't do reps less than 3 days before the race. And NO SPIKES!
But like Trinity said, it's not going to be this session that will make you go faster in this particular race.

As for warming up, 20 to 40 minutes easy running followed by 3 or 4 strides (progressive accelerations over 100m) and that's me ready to go.
The running time varies according to how my body feels. Sometimes it takes longer to feel ready for racing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trinity said:
Good luck, which 10k are you doing? We are doing the Glastonbury 10k the same day :)
Thanks guys - I'm doing the "Great East Anglian Run" in my home town of King's Lynn. I am excited and terrified in equal measures :confused: but have decided to take it easy this week and give the running club a miss.

Good luck in your Glastonbury race Trinity!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts

I won't be doing much either...I haven't run since FLM and am still recovering. I'll probably just go and do a few miles on Thursday to loosen everything up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts