Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - so we did 10 miles last week-end as part of the training for half-mara in October (it felt really good - and almost race pace)... then didn't run until tuesday night - about 7 miles (when I was really struggling, with iffy stomach, I was walking in places - which is unlike me)... and nothing for the rest of this week (although I am contemplating some intervals tonight). Was thinking of doing some last night but decided to go to the shop - get sweets and eat burger and chips, with glass of wine and chew drumsticks!! :rolleyes:

It feels like it should have been a 'rest week' - I just feel so lothargic and floppy (need cocktail sticks for my eyes atm!)

Is this just because the weekly mileage is getting a bit more heavy - particulary week-end runs... plus probably doing a faster pace on Tuesdays (club run).

I want to persevere (and I just love going out and running), but I am also 'listening to my body' - but when do you fight the floppy feeling and get out running anyway? Has anyone else experienced this - and has it set them back? I hope not!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi SB

I believe in listening to your body but do try and get out for some easy runs especially if you pushed it last week, perhaps this week try an 8 miler instead this weekend at an easy pace.

If you are new to schedules and when the mileage does start to pick, you will experience this but it does pass and you do get used to it.

Doing a half marathon is no easy feat if you are new to running, stick with it you sound like you have been doing great just having a blip now and we all have those.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

TT:d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Hey sweaty... mmmmmmmmmmm.... chips, burger & drumsticks! :)

Sounds like you're getting pretty pooped from all these runs! It's funny how the body can react at times, and it sounds like you're being fairly sensible about it, perservering but also listening to your body. One thing I've found is that If all my runs are hard runs, even if I have days of complete rest between them, my legs usually feel really heavy and I generally feel more tired... though when I started introducing more easy runs, it's suprising how doing more running can seem to make things easier?

Whether this was psychological, my fitness was improving, or the recovery runs were helping the muscles to recover from the harder sessions I'm not sure (probably the latter I think)... Maybe try a nice easy 2mile jog (forget the stopwatch completely) on a Monday to recover from sunday and set you up for tuesday's effort? then you can just take the rest of the week as you like really! I'm sure you'll soon find what works best for you though ;)

Just bear in mind that near race pace runs at near race pace distances will take a lot out of you... quite different from long slow runs, or short runs at half mara' race pace ;)

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rich.... I think I have a plan!

So tonight easy run to the gym - just to get muscles working again(!) Then tomorrow I think its an interval session, then Sunday 10 mile again at good pace, Monday easy run, Tuesday club run, Weds - inter-club race thingy, Thursday sweets and wine night - no run, Friday easy run again!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I'd agree with the others - a few long, easy runs in place of hardcore race-pace sessions! Sounds like you're covering enough distance...

I'm joining a club when I move to Bath in mid-late September. I imagine the lethargy will probably hit me, too :)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
If you can fit it in with your lifestyle, see if you can squeeze a rest or easy day between your more intense efforts... saturday intervals following by a sunday long run, and tuesday club run (what I'd almost call a tempo session) followed by a wednesday race is do-able, but if it becomes a regular schedule (obviously the weds race won't happen every week) then you're bound to become rather tired from it.

Hopefully this tuesday coming will be a very easy run for everyone as many should be racing on the weds... I'll be at home with my feet up though - resting away ;)

obviously not this week, but looking at your potential schedule above, it might be worth trying to bring sat's interval session forward to friday to break up the hard days a bit - but of course that would rely on you having the spare time on a friday.

lol! I've just read this back and noticed it very much sounds like "Coach Simkiss says you must..." which I really don't want you to think at all! Everyone learns what suits them best, and I'm just thinking out loud, so feel free to ignore me ;)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Here is an unprofessional idea I wouldn't mind throwing in to the mix.

Instead of thurs - no run/lots of rubbish. Fri - run. Why not go for a run then pig out on thurs. And then take Friday as a rest when your stomach might be more sensitive due to the sweet stuff?

I would be interested to hear from them what knows more (ie. Everyone)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
would certainly good from a calorie burning point of view... heart rate & metabolism would stay elevated for several hours after your thursday run.

Though again, it depends on other commitments and whether you can manage a run and a full pigging-out session? :lol:

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I can kill a bottle and chocs pretty quick :). Shame I can't run as quick
i know the feeling.. i made the mistake of looking at a lable on a choccy bar i ate yesterday and then realised it was like 2hrs of running to work it off :'(

·
Registered
21 Posts
:asleep:
OK - so we did 10 miles last week-end as part of the training for half-mara in October (it felt really good - and almost race pace)... then didn't run until tuesday night - about 7 miles (when I was really struggling, with iffy stomach, I was walking in places - which is unlike me)... and nothing for the rest of this week (although I am contemplating some intervals tonight). Was thinking of doing some last night but decided to go to the shop - get sweets and eat burger and chips, with glass of wine and chew drumsticks!! :rolleyes:

It feels like it should have been a 'rest week' - I just feel so lothargic and floppy (need cocktail sticks for my eyes atm!)

Is this just because the weekly mileage is getting a bit more heavy - particulary week-end runs... plus probably doing a faster pace on Tuesdays (club run).

I want to persevere (and I just love going out and running), but I am also 'listening to my body' - but when do you fight the floppy feeling and get out running anyway? Has anyone else experienced this - and has it set them back? I hope not!
The thing is S.B. if you are training harder and running more than normal, you need to make sure that you are resting/sleeping more to let your body recover. thats probably why you've been feeling so tired!
Try having some early nights for a few nights (without too much wine and take aways) and that should help!:d

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sweaty mon... you dead?
]
Yeah mon! :cool:

Did the intervals as recommended - feel much better for it too :) So just had a big curry, naan bread & samosas! So just doing a small gym visit tomorrow and long run on Sunday!

Was really funny - Beasty's 305 intervals and mine along the canal - we had to keep doing the sprint past each other (slightly out of sync!) Our Garmins kept beeping the whole time - Speed Up - Slow Down!!! I think we caused noise pollution!!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why not just use one 305 to announce the intervals and both record the run ?
How does that work then? Wouldnt one of us have to shout out SPEED UP!! SLOW DOWN!! I think we are on slightly different speeds anyway (How much battery acid have you had by the way?)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
How would I know :)

I assumed you were following the same program just out of sync. I reckoned on one of you following the others lead. I just come up with the ideas, it is up to others to make them work :d

Just the one bottle, nice early night for me. I am getting old.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I guessing the intervals are based on distance rather than time... so are bound to be out of sync unless running the same session at the same pace :)

I've tried running along the canal a few times but every time I always seem to get incredibly close to the edge to avoid chavs and young women with pushchairs

1 - 20 of 20 Posts