Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to learn some Dutch next year. I'm looking for recommendations for audio while running. I want to use the "spare" time when on easy runs when there is still some blood in my brain and I don't mind repeating aloud (I run trails away from people :) )

I'm mostly interested in speech and getting the sounds in the right ballpark. I've been thinking of using Duolinguo. But it needs a certain amount of keyboard input. I can do that at home, but I'd like to use something while running too. I'm also a big fan of audio books from Audible. Can anyone recommend an app or audiobook for learning a language that is suitable while hands are unavailable, i.e., while running? I use earphones with a simple stop or back-30 -seconds function.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I apologise for the late reply as I just saw this one.
During my easy runs, I either listen to the economist (audio edition) or I try and learn Chinese (or maybe I should say review old lessons that I already listened before). I use Pimsleur. I find it very useful for me, as it repeats the same sentences several times. I do look a bit like an idiot sometimes (I am not always far away from people), but I don't mind that :)
I just checked and I think that Pimsleur is available for Dutch. Good luck :)

PS. Please let me know if you found some other nice solution as I might try and see if I can find a similar one for Chinese.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I have been away in NL for two weeks but now I am back here for a year or more but need to start on the Dutch. Yes, i remember seeing the Pimsleur before xmas and I downloaded the introductory chapter that explains the methos. I'll try that one, then, since you think it is OK. I will post back if I add something different. While in survival mode I have been using itranslate app for text but that was rarely needed as the Dutch speak such good English.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I use Duolingo for French, but as you mention, it is no good for when running as it's not an audio thing - it's an app into which you are typing all the time.

I find Michel Thomas's stuff really good. I have used his French tapes and he is multi-lingual (or was, I believe he is no longer with us). I've just checked and Dutch is one of the languages he taught. Unlike Duolingo, his courses are audio so would be good for use whilst running.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't recommend language lessons while running since it requires some form of reading and writing too for you to fully learn efficiently. However, I advice education podcasts. I regularly listen to personal development podcasts while jogging instead of music. Thank goodness for Spotify!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't recommend language lessons while running since it requires some form of reading and writing too for you to fully learn efficiently. However, I advice education podcasts. I regularly listen to personal development podcasts while jogging instead of music. Thank goodness for Spotify!
And what to do to those who don't perceive the information by ear? ((

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi All,
This is a great topic. Run while listening to something educational. It reminds me of a movie from the 70's about a kid who studied and remembered everything while asleep and listened to tapes all night. I can't remember the name of the Disney movie, but it was like the Strongest Man in the World, with Kirt Russell: college comedy. Anyway, I coach running and the important thing is to be present in the moment... sort of like ":active listening" and totally engaged in the activity. I suppose if you are not aiming for a PR or in any kind of competition, then anything goes. But, ear pieces and concentration on extra activities while running can get you killed on the back roads! You don't hear the car coming and are not focused. I'm not saying that there isn't a time or place for listening with earpieces, but I would encourage the ambient sound ear pieces, where you can hear all around you while listening to whatever. Personally, I don't want to die anytime soon, so I never wear a device.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts