Not being force fed veg but fish and liver, yuk yuk yuk :mad:

I would like to point out not in the same meal, my mum wasn't that brutal :p

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Liver with tubes in it... :eek:

No wonder I'm vegetarian!

Steve... how did you get your poll to work with multi votes??

·
Registered
707 Posts
Brussel sprouts wins... or loses whatever, this one hands down. They're bitter and yucky. Although I will eat them actually... I'll eat pretty much anything other than liquorice. Literally anything (apart from poo and other such non-food items that no one would eat anyways, unless insane).

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I voted other. If I'm allowed rhubarb (it is a veg, honest), then that, otherwise the only think I can think of that I'm not mad keen on are butter beans, but they're more a pulse than a veg.

Um, no, I honestly cannot think of a single "proper" veg which I don't absolutely love.

I had lots of good veg experiences as a kid though - both dad and granddad grew lots of veg, so I ate a lot of very fresh and very tasty veg. No stringy beans or tired cabbage for me. And my mum always cooked it just right, too - no soggy overcooked waterlogged veg in our house.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My mum, bless her, was not very good at cooking vegetables. Or rather, she was too good at cooking them. And cooking them. And cooking them.

Didn't realise I actually liked so many veg until they were cooked properly!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Nat said:
My mum, bless her, was not very good at cooking vegetables. Or rather, she was too good at cooking them. And cooking them. And cooking them.

Didn't realise I actually liked so many veg until they were cooked properly!
While my mum was great at veg, she wasn't so good at things like fish - she was always so petrified she'd poison us by feeding us raw meat and fish that everything was always horribly overcooked. I didn't like fish until I left home and found that when it's not cooked so long it's dried out, it's actually quite nice :d

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Brussel Sprouts are the worst veg on the list, but cauliflower is even worse. It should have been banned by the Geneva Convention!!!!

I love veg in general - brocolli, carrots and cabbage (white or green) are my favourites.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I feel the need to defend the poor sprout. From the birth of time this poor veg has received bad press. I don't understand why any one would dislike such a genuinely individual flavour. I would happily eat them on there own. There's 6 of us in this house and fortunately only 2 of us like them, me and my 6yo.

Another particular favorite is roast parsnips. Again a misunderstood vegatable but served with the aforemetioned brussels and roast chicken with liberal amounts of bread sauce, it's heaven

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
scr8pe said:
I feel the need to defend the poor sprout. From the birth of time this poor veg has received bad press. I don't understand why any one would dislike such a genuinely individual flavour.
Apparently there's a chemical in Brussels sprouts which is either undetectable or actually liked by many people, but which tastes horribly bitter to others. So if you're one of those people who find them bitter, I can see why you wouldn't like them.

Me, I love them :d

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's odd because I hated them when I was young...they did taste very bitter, but now I love them...not bitter at all really

·
Registered
835 Posts
Trinity said:
That's odd because I hated them when I was young...they did taste very bitter, but now I love them...not bitter at all really
That's because you've got over active sweet buds which are fed by your addiction Trin ;)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I vote sprouts, but certainly, if you don't cook them to mush they can be very nice.

One veg which gets more pad press than is fair is cabbage. Over here they use it a lot, and it tastes fantastic

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Trinity said:
Liver with tubes in it... :eek:

No wonder I'm vegetarian!

Steve... how did you get your poll to work with multi votes??

Beetroot for me...eekk

Trin,
There's an option box in the poll section for you to tick for multi votes.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I never realised so many people generally hate the good old sprout! Personally, I love them, and I am one of only two in my family that do. Hence why I always have horrific wind after eating so many of them.:embarrassed: That is the sprout haters' punishment being dished out on us sprout lovers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts