Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well at least a metaphorical hill...
Back at work after 4 months of training and then I was struck down with a chest infection.
Doc. says lay off the running, which I did. Anyway slowly recovered and I have just finished my first run since gettin ill , checked in my log and (gulp), it's been a month since my last run.:confused: Lost 2 mins off a 5k run.:(
I also read that your fittness resets after 3 weeks or so.
Is this back to square one, or can i rely on muscle memory or some such to get my back quicker ?
(Run was a bit of a struggle but felt good to get the machine running again )!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Glad you are back pounding the streets again...even if slower than before.

It'll soon come back. For me 1 week off has little effect...beyond that it takes a while to get back to where I was...you won't reset to square one... you will recover to a position along the line and get to where you were in 3/4 weeks I suspect.
Remember to take it easy when returning to running....Rome wasn't built in a day!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Hi Shotoku :)
You do lose most of your speed work effects in three weeks but not your endurance. Even though you may feel stiff and heavy, if you had good mileage in your legs prior to the stop, within a week or two you will be close to your pre-stop endurance levels.
As for speed... I guess it's back to those hard sessions to get it back.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Sorry to hear you were not well, hopefully you will be back up to speed soon, it really doesn't take that long, the first week is always the hardest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts