Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I injured my left ankle / foot just over a week ago on 26/03/08. I was out drinking with some work mates and wasn't particularly drunk or anything.

Anyway, I was sitting on a high bar stool, whilst leaning against the bar itself. Unbeknown to me, my entire left leg became numb with the pins and needles sensation. I hopped off the stool to go to the bathroom but my left leg and in particular ankle gave way, with an inversion injury.
The pain was incredible, but the beer helped numb the pain I guess. The next day my ankle was like a balloon and so a trip to A+E confirmed no bone break. However since this, the swelling has subsided a great deal but I have heavy brusing below the ankle joint on both sides of the foot. Bruising across the top of my foot and even my toes. I can't walk on uneven ground and even normal walking there is pain on every plant of my foot.

Sitting at the computer is giving me pain on the ball of my ankle!!!
From pitcures that I have seen and things I have read, is it likely that I have damaged ligaments. My GP has signed me off work for 2 to 3 weeks, but I'm going in on restricted duties because I don't want it to impact on my sickness record.

I'd only recently started road running again as it was the only exercise that I enjoyed (other than 5-a-side) and felt like I was working. This will be a massive set back.
Any advice etc would be most welcome

Regards.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
R.I.C.E would be your best bet to help recovery... that is:

Rest - rest the ankle as much as possible, not putting unnecessary weight on it, and certainly no excessive physical activity! Obviously this prevents further damage being caused

Ice - Apply an ice pack regularly, easy thing to use is just a cheapo pack of frozen peas... apply it to the affected area for 10 mins, then rest for 45mins to an hour and repeat. Don't be tempted to ice for longer than 15mins though as you'll risk damaging tissues etc!

Compression - Gentle compression, such as provided by an elasticicated tubular bandage (tubigrip), helps against swelling and also stimilulates blood flow to the area, bringing in fresh oxygenated blood and moving toxins away from the damaged area, thus speeding up recovery. Be careful not to apply too much pressure though as this will ultimately restrict bloodflow!

Elevation - Elevate your ankle above the height of your heart, when you stand up gravity means blood will pool in the injured area, if you lie down and raise the ankle, blood will 'drain' back down to the heart and a constant fresh supply of blood will be pumped to the affected area (same effect as increased bloodflow through compression).

Sadly, as I'm sure you know, there's no miracle cure, but the above should help you recover asap! :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Agreed - rest rest rest! Do NOT in any circumstances think "oh it's not hurting nearly as much, I'll go for a run" because a year ago I had a sprained ankle from falling off a climbing wall, went out running too soon, and all that happened is that I ended up straining my hips and just about everything north of my ankle... to the point that I couldn't run for an even longer period of time! I know it's frustrating, you could probably still do some light cycling in the mean time (no uphill struggles!) but seriously... you'll only regret heading out before it's completely sorted!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
oh dear...

Hope you recover soon, i know what its like to have a bad leg.......

Did i ever tell you all about my accident (shows you her scars) . o O ( can hear people saying oh no not again )

Well when my boy was one i ordered a bouncy castle for his party and i decided to put a little girl on the castle as she could not get up on the ledge.. so i climbed up with girl in tow, i lost my balance and stepped back, what i did not noticed that i stepped back so far i ended up off the ledge of the castle and landed on all the shoes.

When i looked down my leg was facing backwards and my knee was frontwards..... and weird thing it did not hurt until about 2 hours later when the pain kicked in ....

But to cut long story short, i stayed in hospital for a week (not moving) and had to have plates and screws in my ankle as i broke and shattered all three main bones in my ankle.

I then had to have it in plaster for another 6 weeks then have physio after.... to date it still plays me up, especially in the cold and rain, i will probably end up with arthitic problems the docs said... but least i can run and ski on it...

So please rest because in the long run it can cause you more harm than its worth

HUGS

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
One of my main concerns, sport aside, is my occupation. I'm a front line Police Officer 24/7 cover and naturally I'm involved with violent and aggressive people. Not to mention having to run after offenders over a variety of surfaces, climbing etc. I'm worried if the ankle will be weaker in the future.

I've been taken off those front line thing for 3 weeks, with reduced contacted with the good and bad citizens.

I guess you can understand my concerns.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
You will be fine Mersey IF you rest it as people said, i sprained my ankle (same leg) before and it recovered well, as i said i have raced lots with my ankle and skied (black runs) i am not a fast runner but i can run for two and half hours on it.

I feel your concerns but slow recovery is the key only.

And good job by the way (always wanted to be in the force)

:d

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
It shouldn't be any weaker at all merseyred, once it's recovered it'll be good as new! :)

N.B. ONCE IT'S RECOVERED! lol, Please don't think I think you're some kind of moron and not going to listen to the advice, but it just can't be stressed enough the importance of resting until completely recovered. Then of course as it's been out of action for some time, some strengthening exercises would be very beneficial before returning to your usual crime busting self :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the posts guys and gals. I have been applying some ICE treatment, but maybe not enough.
One thing for certain is that I won't rush back to running, but work may be a different situation altogether.

My sister is a Physio and she has given me some exercises to do. When she saw my ankle she was shocked as she hadn't seen brusing like it before.

Here is a link to http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/firstaid/anklspr.htm

The injury to the guy in this is the same as mine, including all the bruising. I hope the link works by the way.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
eek goes all faint........... yeah it works

When i done my sprain it was like that, i went roller skating and i went over my ankle to the side when i took the skate off it was huge, next day it was nice and bruised at the ankles but not the bruising of the toes.

I wish you a speedy recovery Mersey

:d

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i got an ankle sprain today at the end of my run... i tripped over my foot whilst i was running and it hurt me enough to go out and buy some ibuprofen gel... so, yes, it is a set back... i can walk on it but i'm still limping a bit... tbh the pain isn't too bad, i've had a lot of running pains, but i can tell this is a different sort of pain to what i'm used to... localised in one area and my ankle joint keeps clicking... so i'm planning to be cautious...

i've already got my 'back to running' plan sorted out... i plan to walk my regular run tomorrow and then if i can do that ok walk the distance run for the next day... then hopefully monday cycle 1 mile and build it up slowly until i can do 5 miles.... only then am i'm prepared to start jogging again... i think i'll be a week off running for me...

tbh i'm not a big fan off complete rest -> back to full training... i like my way better... building it up slowly...

·
Registered
835 Posts
MerseyRed999 said:
...... I'm worried if the ankle will be weaker in the future..........
Don't worry about that. I broke my ankle about 3 years ago after my eldest set me a trap at the bottom of the stairs:( (thinking about it, it was just as well it was at the bottom and not the top:eek: )
Anyway, now that it has fully recovered, the ankle is much stronger than it ever was before.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As a bobby you can get fast track physio- its free and damn good. After a bad sprain you can have ligament damage and have a weakened ankle as a result ( which I do). Get yourself a wobble board to use every day when you can bear weight on the foot. It strengthens the ankle and surrounding muscle and ligaments. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it's been just over 2 weeks since my injury. I'm in work but on restricted duties. Occupational Health also suspect some partial tear or tearing due to the amount of visible bruising.
Walking is relatively pain free but any other movement is a 'no-no'.

The job are trying to arrange Physio for me, so fingers crossed I will be back running etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts