Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am uk expat in Prague. (Stupid story!!)

Nearly four weeks ago, I stood on a storage radiator that had a solid marble top on it. Anyway didnt realise it wasnt fixed and it slipped and jammed my leg and landed on my calf.

At the time it went purple and really painful. Put ice on it imediatly and raised leg. For a little while it felt like I was getting electric shocks in middle of calf where slap of marble had landed.
Also felt a bit sick for several hours.

Should have got it looked at but got a daughter very ill with Epilepsy. So thought it prob just bruised and would recover.

Now I have rested it for nearly four weeks. (4 wks on Saturday)
But still aches when I walk around the house and still tender if I touch small area in middle of calf. (outside of leg in the middle, half way between ankle and knee)

Anyone have a clue what is up?
Could I have fractured it? Or done something else?
Sorry never had a fracture or any injury in past to compare.

I know stupid, stupid and I should have had it looked at instantly. But thought it would go away. Also trying to cope with hospital stuff for my daughter who is ill.

Due to run the GNR in September. So dont want a permanent injury?

Any ideas? Could it just be internal bruising and just needs another week or two.
Or do I need it x rayed or something?

Prahalady
PS, not running was waiting till I had confirmed place for GNR. Got the place but chucked a slab of marble on my leg!!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Prahlady I'm so sorry you have hurt yourself and I think you should get it checked out - I understand your circumstances but you also need to make sure you are fit to take care of your daughter. Is it easy enough to see a doctor in Prague do they have an equivalent of the NHS?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes,

they have good medical. Its not free but cheap.
Its the thought that something might be wrong, stupidly thinking if I ignore it long enough it will go away. Plus trying to fit it in with everything else e.g daughter was in hospital last week.

Its not agonising pain at the moment. So thats why I was thinking maybe not serious.

Prahalady.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had been hoping to hear more about your running improvements, and not this. It sounds as though your leg could be on the mend, but even a serious bruise would have told you more surely by now that it was on the mend. Just the fact that you're doubting it sounds to me like you want to see a doctor about it. Don't hesitate - I agree with Steady Edwina's sentiments too.

And you need to know that an injury like that is behind you, so that you can properly start your training. Please don't give up on that now. Have you got your new shoes yet that you were planning on buying?

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter has her own problems too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,
I will get my leg looked at asap. Probably me just over reacting.

Karen, yes went for Asics. Did the foot test out you all mentioned. Many thanks was very helpful.

I am definatly not giving up and have decided to run for charity. Have already got a just giving page and rasied 140 pounds somehow!!

http://www.justgiving.com/epilepsyazaria

What my plan is to run some time outside and others inside on a treadmill in the house. This way can fit around daughter.

I intend to finish the GNR with a decent time. Used to love running so know I am capable of running at a reasonable rate if I set my mind to it. Got running schedules ready.

Prahalady

·
Registered
231 Posts
Good for you!

Sometimes I wish I had a house big enough for a treadmill. I could put one in the garage, but then my car would have to stand outside, and I don't think my garage is nicest place to be running in anyway.

Where do you all keep your treadmills (those that have them at home)?

I do prefer to run outside, but sometimes the weather is just so awful.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Karen said:
Where do you all keep your treadmills (those that have them at home)?

I do prefer to run outside, but sometimes the weather is just so awful.
My treadmill is in the garage alongside my cross trainer and exercise bike. The good thing about being in the garage is that when I start exercising there it is cool to start with whereas if these items were indoors I'd be too warm from the start.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Mine is in my spare bedroom at the moment, which is a bit of a pain, but will be moving it soon, thankfully I live in a bungalow, otherwise it would have come through the ceiling....

·
Registered
231 Posts
twinkle toes said:
otherwise it would have come through the ceiling....
Aargh! Good point. We live in a new-build (1999) house, and the upper floors are not exactly made of stone. I hadn't thought of that before.

The thing is I have a treadmill I can get for free (somebody else's cast-off). It's a good treadmill too. But I don't know where to put it. Treadmills are just so darned big, and my family room already has an exercise bike in it with not much spare space. And my only other option is the garage (and I'm really reluctant on that one). For starters the garage is full of dust and clutter, so it might be nice and cool, but it wouldn't be good for my lungs...

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
The thing is I have a treadmill I can get for free (somebody else's cast-off). It's a good treadmill too. But I don't know where to put it. Treadmills are just so darned big, and my family room already has an exercise bike in it with not much spare space. And my only other option is the garage (and I'm really reluctant on that one). For starters the garage is full of dust and clutter, so it might be nice and cool, but it wouldn't be good for my lungs...[/QUOTE]

That is a great find, do you still use the bike if not put that in the garage for the time being until it has be de-dusted, you are probably more likely to use the treadmill, having said that though there is a obvious size difference :eek:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Size isn't everything TT...so I hear anyway!

Karen... I agree with TT's idea if the treadmill fits...if not you'll have to tidy that garage!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, things got taken out of my hands, quite literally. I had a phone message yesterday morning telling me the treadmill would be arriving tomorrow morning. So I had a sudden urge of cleaning the garage. After numerous trips to the local recycling centre, and much tidying up, I now have a garage floor that is ready to accept the treadmill. What a job!

Steve - if you keep yours in the garage: I have a concrete floor - what sort of base should I put underneath the treadmill? I will have some carpeting, and on top of that a neatly cut wooden platform onto which the treadmill goes. The wooden platform comes with the treadmill, but I thought I'd better put down a layer of carpeting first to act as some more shock absorber. Is the treadmill likely to shift during use, or will it stay in its original place?

And another conundrum: Do I face it looking out the garage door, or do I face it in the opposite direction (a view of some racks of garage stuff and the door leading into the house)? If I face it towards the garage door, I will have a nice view if I keep the door open whilst using it, but I will have some curious neighbours looking at me, and so I might want to keep it shut to avoid that. But if shut, then the view of the inside of the garage door is even worse than the view of the racks (neither view is particularly inspiring). How do I decide?

And lastly - how important is it to keep the environment dust-free? I'm thinking of the health of the drive-motor of the treadmill here? Should I make a cover for it, for when it's not in use, or should I now keep the garage as clean as I keep the rest of my house?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sorry for hijacking your thread on something completely non-related, Prahalady. I hope your leg is doing fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts