Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has any experience with leg length discrepancies & problems/ solutions?
I am a 25 year old male, and I broke my tibia and tibia badly whilst playing football a few years back. In the last year or so, as I increased my activity a lot, I suffered with all sorts of issues, including achilles tendonitis & plantar fasciitis in both feet (which was a nightmare). It seems recently the Plantar Fascia has healed, but am having problems walking, mainly on one side. Following a biomechanics assessment, I am awaiting custom orthotics. My right leg is apparently 0.5cm shorter than the left. Can a difference this small make that much difference? It seems I pronate on the longer side to equalise it, plus a decent shoulder drop. Also, has anyone had any good experience with orthotics in treating the discrepancy?
Picking up insoles in a weeks time. Just hoping that these are the answer to all the problems :)

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Loads of people have a leg length discrepancy it's more nocebic than anything else, you might not even need orthoses in the end, but yeh loads of people find a benefit with them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I understand the definition. What you are basically saying is people think it is more of a problem than it is?

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Yes I understand the definition. What you are basically saying is people think it is more of a problem than it is?
The fact you have been told you have a leg length discrepancy will not help you, it's nocebic language, makes you feel uneven and vulnerable due to it! studies have shown nearly everyone has a leg length discrepancy and 0.5cm is nothing to mention about to be honest

Achilles and PF problems will resolve with time, orthotics are good for changing the load patterns so other areas get stressed a bit more until the problem areas heal and strengthen

·
Registered
841 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Interesting point. Seems like you are bang on the mean for everyone! No clinical action necessary for the anatomical leg length discrepancy per se. Anatomic and functional leg-length inequality: A review and recommendation for clinical decision-making. Part I, anatomic leg-length inequality: prevalence, magnitude, effects and clinical significance. ( I answer because I had both legs broken by a car accident once so I suppose they are unequal on both sides :) )
It's just a sign of an out dated practitioner to me, somebody who is not up on the science either biomechanically or around pain science

1 - 8 of 8 Posts