Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I am currently training for my first marathon and finding my legs are letting me down on my long runs (cardio vascular seems fine). I want to add some leg weights.

So far my training is long run on a Monday, tempo run for 40mins on Wednesday, currently followed by super sets of deadlifts into squats for 3 sets of 10 reps on a moderate weight, the interval training on Friday 10 sets of 1min max speed on treadmill 1min walking.
When is best time to fit weights in giving rest days for legs? I tired super sets Friday but that killed me on my run on Monday.

I am also doing all these runs in the evenings due to work commitment and trying to keep weekends free if possible to spend time with my young boys and wife.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi there, I am currently training for my first marathon and finding my legs are letting me down on my long runs (cardio vascular seems fine). I want to add some leg weights.

So far my training is long run on a Monday, tempo run for 40mins on Wednesday, currently followed by super sets of deadlifts into squats for 3 sets of 10 reps on a moderate weight, the interval training on Friday 10 sets of 1min max speed on treadmill 1min walking.
When is best time to fit weights in giving rest days for legs? I tired super sets Friday but that killed me on my run on Monday.

I am also doing all these runs in the evenings due to work commitment and trying to keep weekends free if possible to spend time with my young boys and wife.

Not saying don't do weight training but I'd suggest doing hill sprints instead as it's more specific to running.

·
Registered
22 Posts
weight training

About Weights;
I agree with the other thread reply's. Tell me more about your long runs: how long, how hard, terrain, expectations, training plan? Without specifics, I'd just say lift with the upper body and save the legs for the road, trail, park.
Building thigh muscles from weight training could actually hinder your performance if it is not done right, and it can also make you tighten up. If your concern is skinny legs, and you want to look stronger, then do hill climbs and bike repetitions. Monitor your caloric intake so you don't burn it all off. And, make sure to stretch a lot before and after training. Make sure your body is adequately warmed up before doing any serious stretching. I do 30 - 50 push ups and then right into 30 - 50 sit ups. Then, my body is warm and can be stretched without the chance of pulling anything. Cooling down after a run is just as important as warming up. Walk it off and stay limber with some stretching periodically.
Ace

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies, my main long run varies between week 1 and week 2. week 1 I will a moderate 10-15k then week 2 I am slowly building up my distance is preparations for a marathon. my last run was 30k. I live in the north of my city and its does have a lot of inclines and declines, mainly suburban running due to poorer light in winter. My legs are aching around 20k (give or take) my breathing is fine. I have previously done the half marathon and building up on that training. This pace for my long run is a natural pace (my app says average around 8.1 depending on the day, I slow down a little when tired and then speed up a little when I can. I also run faster down hill and conserve energy on up hills.

On tempo run day, I do 40mins on a treadmill on 8.3 (I am increasing by 0.1 each week)

On interval day I do treadmill run on 12 (max my machine will go) for 1 min then walk 1 min on 3.1 x 10 sets.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Cardiovascular fitness is not just about the functioning of the heart and lungs. It is about transporting that oxygen to the muscles and how well the muscles utilise that oxygen. So although you say your lungs feel fine, this does not mean that the reason your legs ache is because they are weak. It is because they are not yet used to continuing to propel you for that length of time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts