Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is actually a semi-serious question. :confused:

Is Lemsip (or something in it) classed as a performance enhancing substance ?

The reason being, is following my half last week I have come down with a bit of a cold (I believe it to be avian related influenza :d ), and therefore haven't run all week, but decided that having entered Birmingham I needed to get out on Saturday regardless.

Therefore got up Saturday morning, chucked a Lemsip down my throat to try and clear my head and breathing a bit and headed of out.

I did a 4 mile circuit and when I got back I thought I was going to die, and put it down to still being full of cold until I looked at the Garmin, and found that I had actually run consistent 8:16 minute miles the whole way, bearing in mind the fastest I have ever run previously was 8:45 m/m and my normal training is over 9 m/m this was somewhat startling.

Therefore it got me wondering whether my performance was affected by the Lemsip or (and I'm kinda hoping this is the case) it is down to natural improvement following the training for the Half and the weeks rest kicking in?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'd say it'd be a number of factors relating to your cold and your body's natural ability - though a lemsip isn't going to knock 1min/mile your usual pace - I'm not even sure full on performance enhancing drugs would do that in such a short space of time!

Chances are, you haven't been running to your full ability - and with the cold, perhaps you felt like you weren't going very fast and subconsciously thought "I KNOW I can run faster than this when I'm healthy"... so you end up pushing harder, any discomfort you feel can easily be passed of as being down to the illness, so you continue to push harder.

I suppose it's possible that a chemical or something in Lemsip is a banned substance, but I'd think it's unlikely and certainly wouldn't atrribute your improvement to it ;)

fantastic stuff btw! that's quite a chunk to knock off! :cool:

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
There is a lot to say about your mental state... it sounds similar to something we have been discussing in the 'Ladies' room about how at certain times of the month, when we would expect to do worse than normal, there is a trend that we do better(!!) And I have a suspicion it is a similar story. Also - I wonder if its because of the pain killers, because as well as sorting out the cold/female cramps, they are also making the 'pain' of running easier!? What do you think?

·
Registered
613 Posts
when my missus was away for a month abroad, i was home alone, so entered plenty of cycling time trial events. i had a dose of "man flu" and accordingly i was proper poorly, (us men get it much worse than the laydees it's a scientific fact!
Anyway, i took to the lemsip max strength prior to each race i would down one to ease up the chest etc.
i did some pretty impressive times and after one race, i was there in the HQ waving my box of lemsips only to be told "They are a banned substance under CTT regs!"
I looked on the box and i could see thay contain caffeine, i often dose up on that before a race. but i reckon it must be the stuff that opens the airways that makes it dodgy.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Looking into it further, it seems that Lemsip does contain a substance called 'phenylephrine' which is prohibited in some sports... seemingly not athletics though? (running was not on the list, so I assume it's classed as athletics)

check out DID Global for more info.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
*goes to buy lemsip :p

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
wasnt there someone from a winter olypics a couple of years ago that bought a vicks sniff stick that is safe over here.. but has a banned substance in the forign mix. so the ingredients might also change

·
Registered
149 Posts
your right beasty, it was a Scot in the mens down hill short course or some such. Had a cold and took a dose of liquid inhaler. He came third got tested and then disqualified.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I remember that one poor bugger.

It could also be that the paracetamol in your Lemsip takes the edge of any pain you might otherwise feel and cause you to slow.

·
Registered
65 Posts
People have been found positive on drugs tests before after using a Lemsip like drug. There was a famous footballer who was nailed by it, can't remeber his name now though :S

1 - 11 of 11 Posts