Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read this piece on the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/7463461.stm

Linford Christie is saying racism is to blame for his current marginalisation in athletics (he chooses to downplay the the fact he was a dope cheat). The best bit is when he asks "what did Coe do for athletics?" I think the guy has officially lost it. I wish he would just accept his fate for being tested positive and stop blaming everyone else. Just my view :p

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I agree JB.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I think Linford's right, Seb Coe was an average athlete who achieved almost nothing and did absolutely nothing to popularise middle distance running throughout the world and then went on to not help bring the Olympics to London....oh wait a minute...I seem to be slightly delusional - maybe it's all those performance enhancing drugs I've taken;)

I used to have a huge amount of respect for Linford Christie. It disappeared at exactly the same time he was found to be a cheat.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I feel sorry for the athletes he mentors/coaches if that's his attitude :confused:

He did achieve a lot, and he would've been recieved much more recognition had he not been caught cheating.

It kinda doesn't ring very true that he did more for British Athletics than anyone, yet doesn't receive as much recognition as somebody who has done nothing (i.e. Seb Coe apparently?) not because he was a drugs cheat (that's irrelevant... :asleep:) but because he was black?

Ah well... what goes around....

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I thought there was room for some doubt around whether Christie really did take drugs, as there seemed to be a possibility it was the result of innocently taking something that wasn't banned. I'd always given him the benefit of the doubt as a result.

But with stupid and ungracious comments like that, he's clearly carrying the most enormous chip on his shoulder, and is utterly rude as well, so I have no respect for him any more purely for that reason.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Slowsteve said:
I can't believe I haven't received a knighthood for my athletic achievements.:mad:

Is it cos I is slow???:(
Yeah, and I haven't been recognised, because I'm female ;)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
bagpuddycat said:
Yeah, and I haven't been recognised, because I'm female ;)

How do you expect to be taken seriously with pink and white stripes? :d

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
twinkle toes said:
How do you expect to be taken seriously with pink and white stripes? :d
Well, if I'm being discriminated against because of the colour of my fur, that's even worse. :mad:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
LOL

What chance do I have then, I've got feathers...

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Rearrange these words...........shoulder chip huge on....
Ooh, is this another new game Steve?

... chip on huge shoulder. Do I get to go to Mars now?

I never liked Christie. Ever. Like many sprinters, too arrogant and too much of a show-off.
What is it with those strutting and posturing sprinters?:rolleyes:

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Ooh, is this another new game Steve?

... chip on huge shoulder. Do I get to go to Mars now?

I never liked Christie. Ever. Like many sprinters, too arrogant and too much of a show-off.
What is it with those strutting and posturing sprinters?:rolleyes:
...shoulder on huge chip

Too much time on their hands 10 seconds and it's all over .

Same in the bedroom i expect:embarrassed::eek:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi,

Sure i'm gonna get shot down for saying this but thought i'd bring another dimension to this topic. Whilst i DO disagree with cheating in any form i watched a program the other night that suggested there is so much pressure on these athletes and sports personalities to get a great performance they turn to drugs through peer pressure.

Surely with athletes such as Christie who we only see a 10sec burst from has a massive team bethind him and your telling me not 1 of them knew he was taking drugs? I bet in some cases coaches actually encourage it (completely outragous i know)!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, the one time he was caught for taking drugs he was in his late 30s and in semi retirement. He should have known better. I have no sympathy for him, but it might be partly due to the fact that I always thought he was arrogant and full of himself. He seems to think he is the best sprinter there ever was. I'd like to tell him that he was nowhere near as good as Carl Lewis. I think he has a complex about that. OK, so he won an Olympic and world gold, but he never held a world record, and was only competitive in the 100 metres. There have been plenty of better sprinters and athletes out there.

·
Registered
348 Posts
An athlete in the 80/90's said about Christie that he was the most balanced athlete he knew, chips on both shoulders! - that athlete was Derek Redmond (coincidently a black athlete also) who sadly struggled with injuries most of his career. It's a real shame he has to pull the race card in this dispute.

He would almost certainly have been banned for a long period if the rules had been as strict back in the late 80's/early 90's as now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts