Runners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I was hoping for some advice on the Lisbon Half Marathon next year - I have a bee in my bonnet that I NEED to run this next year. :happy:

I've found a website that I believe is the official page for the event taking place on 22/03/15 but it doesn't have an option to register for the race yet.

I know there's a few Portugal runners out there - I really just wanted to understand a little more on whether registration and race number collection is painless. Would I need some form of medical approval from a uk doctor (?) and would you also recommend the race itself :)

Thankyou for reading! Xx

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Not that it helps much but it's not open for Portuguese nationals and residents to register either.

Registration and race number collection (done the days before the race) is painless. Unless you start at the front the first two miles can be a nightmare.
You won't need any form of medical approval that I know of.

I would recommend, if nothing else, for the views you get from the bridge and for a few days in this beautiful city. If I'm not mistaken, in its 24 editions, it only rained once (and I ran it that year :notrust:).

What I mean when I say "nightmare" - a bottleneck for 40.000 people:

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Looks like The Chester Half Marathon from start to finish :) lol
:D

The problem here is that you go from a start line (up to 100m wide) to the bridge (20m wide) in about 40 seconds. If you don't start near the front you will be dodging walkers for the next 10 minutes... I think runningruth has had a couple of bad experiences with that... :s

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou Fulmar - I was having a few niggles about the race especially as I'd be traveling solo and will need to travel on the Saturday - making number collection a bit of a tight squeeze! The simpler the better!

I am a right lady paced runner - so on the plus side: great views. Bad side: no pb?

Looks like the Chester half! :lol:

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
It's a very good PB course. Actually, the IAAF would say too good as the net drop is more than 1m/km (that's why the Elite runners now have a different start, at sea level).
In order to get a PB there though, you need to get to the start 1h30m/2h early and that means no warm-up and limited access to the toilets.
If you eventually decide to run Lisbon and I happen to be here in March let me know and I will pick your number for you. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thankyou so much Fulmar for your help and advice.

I honestly didn't believe the course would offer a fantastic opportunity to beat a pb. Limited toilet facilities - might just stick to an average run and take in the views :)

Might be in Lisbon next year - you're not thinking of leaving Portugal are you!? It's a beautiful country - I'd never want to leave if I lived there!

Thankyou again, I'm really appreciative of the insights and information to the race

Nic x

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
You are very welcome, Nic. :)

Portugal is a beautiful country and I love it here but I've been on the move for the past 15 years and I don't think this is it yet...

As for the Half-Marathon, I have run it countless times and have my second fastest time there but as it involves too much stress to start at the front I usually treat it as a training run or maybe a bit of a test but definitely enjoying the whole experience - the views, the people we run with, the people on the streets - is the main reason for me to run it.

If I am here in March I will definitely run it! I met runningruth and Mr. runningruth before the race two years ago (I think). Maybe we could all meet here in 2015. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really hope you weren't talking away to two random people! I'm up for a 2015 meet up if a few of us are tackling the race :)

It's really good to know about the set up to the race. It'll take away some of the travel stresses knowing it's all experience and not all about time. With fab views and people. I better start learning a little bit of Portuguese :)

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
hahaha :D It was them! I was unsure about the year! :p

I have just checked last year's registration process and it opened in mid-October so we still have a few months to wait.
Do you have any other races planned in the meantime?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haha sorry, i have a really bad sense of humour - glad it was runningruth and Mr. runningruth :p

October! Atleast I have some time to save some pennies in that case... and to try and book some time off from work for it so I'm not having to dart across to Portugal and back in one weekend!

I just have a couple of 10ks and Birmingham HM in the pipeline for this year. How about yourself?

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
A 10k next Sunday and then nothing planned. I want to work on my speed during the month of August and, in any case, there aren't many races here in the Summer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fancy a summer race in Portugal! No amount of hot weather training could prepare me for that :/

Saying that with it being 30c during July and August, it must be tough to speed train now?! But fab prep for the winter months.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Saying that with it being 30c during July and August, it must be tough to speed train now?! But fab prep for the winter months.
The worst is preparing for an Autumn Marathon. I did that once and it was tough. 30ºC at 8am and all those long runs to do.
Speedwork is fine as I have three different places where I do it and all of them have water fountains every few hundred metres.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Anyone else signed up for 2015? My current PB is 1:39 in Glasgow, ideally would like to get sub 1:35 - proper training starts in the new year!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a nightmare at this race on Sunday.
Found this article while looking to see if the problem I had was unique to this year. Clearly not.

It was just as Fulmar says here.
Two of us arrived at the starting area 45 minutes before gun time, which is usually plenty. We moved forward as far as possible, but couldn't even see the bridge we were so far back. Still we weren't concerned as we have participated in huge events before without any problems. We also assumed that the mini-marathon was a small side event and that the people surrounding us were also half marathon runners... Ah, what naive fools we were!

When the gun sounded, the crowd began to walk forward. Not too unusual as people often only begin to run at the start line.... but we reached the start line and as far forward as we could almost everyone was still strolling along, taking selfies, singing and dancing, waving to the TV helicopter.... It was so strange and we couldn't understand what was happening. Only a small number of people were frantically attempting to fight past the massed ranks of walkers so they could run. All we could do was try to weave and push our way through, but the first 2 km took us twenty minutes and all hope of a decent finish time, let alone the PB I had been training for the last three months, evapourated.

I only finally understood who the walkers were when the mini and half marathon courses diverged.
Here's a photo that gives an idea of what the the start was like.

Moral of the story? Avoid this event unless you just want to jog across the admittedly magnificent bridge. Anyone thinking of running a marathon or half in Lisbon would do well to stick to the Rock'n'Roll event in October.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Oh that photo... :push:
And the number of people stopping a couple of steps from the finish line for the mandatory selfies...

This year I only ran 10 miles (the last 10) pacing a friend to a PB.
I will run this race again but definitely without any time goals.

October may be a bit hot (as sturunner probably remembers only too well). There's another good one in December with only one hill around the first mile.
http://www.meiamaratonadosdescobrimentos.com/

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Oh that photo... :push:
And the number of people stopping a couple of steps from the finish line for the mandatory selfies...

This year I only ran 10 miles (the last 10) pacing a friend to a PB.
I will run this race again but definitely without any time goals.

October may be a bit hot (as sturunner probably remembers only too well). There's another good one in December with only one hill around the first mile.
http://www.meiamaratonadosdescobrimentos.com/
anyone stopping short of the finish line to do a selfie deserves to be withdrawn from the race.

Yes it was very hot when I did the RnR marathon, still ranks up there as the worst organised race i've done, an absolute shambles, which is a real shame as it's a great course in an amazing city.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Yes it was very hot when I did the RnR marathon, still ranks up there as the worst organised race i've done, an absolute shambles, which is a real shame as it's a great course in an amazing city.
That finish with the Half-Marathon runners was a real mess...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts