Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the rules. I have just watched the Abu dhabi highlights on the Beeb. In the Womens race a athelete got a penalty count for what the commentator said was littering. This was around 250 metres from the finish which cost her 2nd place. The only thing i saw was she threw her bottle on the floor which all wear. Can anyone clarify what counts as littering in a Triathlon.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
You're probably better off asking on a triathlon forum, where there will be people better versed in the rules. However, I believe it is correct that you are not allowed to drop anything on the course during an ITU triathlon. I have seen an athlete drop her sunglasses and go back for them to avoid a penalty. Triathletes are regularly penalised for not getting all their kit in the box at transition.

·
Administrator
3,083 Posts
Littering is frowned upon and most races don't have the luxury of sweepers to clean up afterwards in the same way that Tour De France has designated feed and dump zones so they will have the rule that littering will result in disqualification.
Aid stations on middle and long distance events do have dump zones at each end to take empty water bottles and wrappers etc.
Out on the course in most cases if you're seen dropping litter you'll be offered the chance to put it right or face a pre-determined penalty - which may even include disqualification.
Each race decides its own policy and details are briefed to the competitors pre-race.

·
Administrator
3,083 Posts
...yes but many races have their own specific rules and penalties which may include DSQ.
IRONMAN give ammend or DSQ.

In any case it's always outlined in the pre-race athlete briefing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts