Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my first race i would like to do a few more, but i dont have a clue where to find out where and when they are.I dont really want to be doing the ones with a smaller field of runners though which seem much more serious.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
After my first race i would like to do a few more, but i dont have a clue where to find out where and when they are.I dont really want to be doing the ones with a smaller field of runners though which seem much more serious.
If you get a copy of the Northern Running Guide (should have had one in your good bag at the Manchester 10k lol!) it lists all (well most of!) the big and small northern events. You can probably get a copy from a running shop - otherwise I think Runners World site lets you search by location for up and coming races?

I found a small one in the paper guide that I've entered - if I can enter these smaller races at my current speed, I'm sure you would suffer no shame!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I agree, local races usually have a lot more "serious" runners in them. Don't let that put you off though - I did a local 10-miler in April and was really happy with my time - needless to say, I came in fourth last (and I overtook three people in the last 2 miles!) Also, smaller races are often more friendly, too.

It would be worthwhile asking in your local running shop or running club about the best races in your area. Failing that you could check out the Runners World website.

·
Registered
47 Posts
After my first race i would like to do a few more, but i dont have a clue where to find out where and when they are.
I've only just joined this forum and so this is a late reply to your message. I see you're from Leigh. Two web sites that list races in your area are those at ukresults.net and race-results.co.uk.

I dont really want to be doing the ones with a smaller field of runners though which seem much more serious.
Those two web sites also give the results of races. So looking at the result of the previous year's race will give you an idea of the number of finishers and the times they got.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I would also recommend John Schofields site as well (UK Results - John Schofield's Race Results Service) and don't worry too much about the serious runners they are still friendly. Last couple of races I've been second from last (save fro last by Aunty Cat) and third from last but was really pleased with my time.

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Last couple of races I've been second from last (saved from last by Aunty Cat) and third from last but was really pleased with my time.
Always happy to oblige. :d
If anyone doesn't want to be last, just ask Aunty Cat if she'll race......:'( :cool: :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts