Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If I put a location map up allowing people to visually lay a marker, would it be used?

Vote on the poll (who said what won't be revelaed). Comment in thread if you like.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I would, think it'd be quite interesting. While I have an idea of major town locations in England, others, or indeed county names don't necessarily mean much to me. And I'm sure the reverse probably applies when it comes to Scotland.

·
Registered
177 Posts
That's not really much security, signup is only a 10 second job.
Could you not set it up guests couldn't see the page existed at all? That way they wouldn't be tempted to sign up to find out where cetain members may live (Don't know why they'd want to stalk us mind).

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can do, but if you give your location on your profile then that's viewable to guests in any case (you don't, but I mean in general).

Even if I did set it up that way, it would only give the illusion of being more secure but wouldn't actually be so. If in doubt, I'd say either give a vague location or don't give any.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
The version I use on my forum only displays and gives the info on your profile if your a registered member, if non registered members try and view your profile they are told they cant.

Not sure whats on offer for VBulletin.

Not bothered really, I would put a location on anyway but just thought it might be an option for only registered members to be able to view other peoples locations.

O.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
vB can do that. What I'm trying to get at is although I can hide profiles and maps and stuff from guests, it won't actually be any safer than not doing so since sign up is so quick and easy, it'll just appear to be safer.

I do accept that if people didn't know the map was there, they wouldn't come looking for it. But in my view if someone wanted to find out where any particular member was they'd find a way regardless of guest permissions.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I wouldn't want to give my exact location as I don't want my neighbours to know I call myself Hot Foot. They think I'm strange enough as it is.:lol:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Well are we not really talking about 'approximate' locations anyway - I already say my location is Glasgow, and was kind of assuming this would be at city/town/village level, not a google-earth zoom in to your house ! (don't mind being more specific about my area of Glasgow, hell I'll point to my street if anybody cares :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
664 Posts
So Bairy, when we getting this map? A few have now said they're up for it, and once in place I bet loads more will then be unable to resist planting their marker as well !

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So Bairy, when we getting this map? A few have now said they're up for it, and once in place I bet loads more will then be unable to resist planting their marker as well !
The nike+ stuff has been on my list longer. I'll probably do the map after that.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Nothing..we're supposed to plant our markers...I thought doing it blindfolded may be fun...never mind!!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts