Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I really enjoy reading other peoples race reports on here so thought I would attempt one for todays 10K. I'm very excited as exactly 5 months since I finished my first 10K in 58:30 I finished todays in 48:10 (approx not got my chip time yet) my first sub 50:)

Myself, husband and two great danes headed up to Inverness yesterday afternoon. Got held up in Edinburgh and didn't arrive at our campsite (yes that's right campsite) until 20:30, had to erect tent in the dark amidst stony silence from me:mad: Camping in Inverness in Oct rather chilly so eventually dogs were allowed into our part of the tent to help keep us warm. I was awoken with a slobbering kiss at 7:50 am (from dog not husband).

The 10K started outside a local school and ended up at the same stadium as the marathon. We drove out there after walking the dogs and left them in the car to gaurd the tent. Everything was very well organised and we dropped off our bags to be taken to the finish line - only problem, after dropping them off we then had to walk 1km to the start in the the freezing cold. We had both estimated a finish time of 50 mins and we started pretty near the front. Even so it was a bit crowded for the first K but we stuck fairly close together and hit the 1k marker in 5 mins. Husband then disappeared off at vast spead and I didn't see him again until just after the 3 K marker. The course was really flat and all on tarmac, I would definately recommend it for PB hunters. I ran the 2nd and 3rd K in well under 5 mins each and caught up with husband giving him a friendly slap on bottom to keep him going;) We ran together for the next few K but sadly as we arrived at the river Ness, just after the 2nd water station Allan got a surge of speed and shot off to finish about 45 secs ahead of me. I do feel bad that after the 5K point I knew I was well on track for a sub 50 finish and just didn't seem to be able to dig any deeper, I'm pretty sure my last 5K were all almost exactly 5 min each and I couldn't even manage a sprint finish.

You run into the stadium to finish and I was a bit disappointed not to get to do a lap of the track, but also relieved as my legs were giving way by this point. The finish was great and we got a big bag of Baxters soups, pickled onions and beetroot:confused: as well as a cool T-shirt and medal. There was also soup and rolls for the runners, loads of lucozade and gels, massage and other stalls. Sadly we had to rush off to the shuttle to go and rescue our poor dogs who by this time were expecting another walk!

It was a great race and I'd definately recommend it for next year - warning though you don't even see loch ness! I'll definately be back and next year I reckon I'll be under 45 mins:idea:

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Great story and congratulations on the PB. I'd like to go up there next year for the race. My friend did the marathon last year and loved it. But it's so far from Edinburgh :( I've never been so far north before!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Great report RS. BIG WELL DONE to knock a whopping 10mins off a previous pb :d

So what is next?

TT

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Well done on your new PB and great report!

I think I will be entering one of the races at Loch Ness next year, not sure if it will be the marathon, 10k or 5k but I do fancy it.
Sounds like a well organised event.

O.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Great report and a great run RS.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I think I might have been a bit misleading though! I have actually done 3 10K's and a half marathon since my first race so I knew I was going to be a good bit faster - was still very pleased though. Chip time was 48:02 so now thinking about that 45 mins barrier.

No sign of Nessie I'm afraid Hrun although there was a sort of nessie on the T-shirt.

Twinkletoes - Edinburgh marathon next big goal (sooooo excited) but I'm sure there will be time for a few more 10k's before that.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Thanks everyone, I think I might have been a bit misleading though! I have actually done 3 10K's and a half marathon since my first race so I knew I was going to be a good bit faster - was still very pleased though. Chip time was 48:02 so now thinking about that 45 mins barrier.

No sign of Nessie I'm afraid Hrun although there was a sort of nessie on the T-shirt.

Twinkletoes - Edinburgh marathon next big goal (sooooo excited) but I'm sure there will be time for a few more 10k's before that.
Good luck with that, I think Owain might be running that one too :d

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Yip, Im running Edinburgh aswell including the East Coast 1/2 Marathon series again, still waiting for dates to be announced for that though.

Looks like I will have a race every month from now til then so plenty of training will be going on over the cold winter months.

O.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts