Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone here has ran the Loch Ness Marathon before. I've entered it this year and was hoping that someone may be able to give some insight into where the tough hills are etc. Any info on the route is appreciated as I'm not too familiar with the area.

I'm hoping to drive the Marathon route at some point before the race but as you know driving it aint the same as running it.

Cheers

Richard

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Good luck with the Loch Ness Marathon Richard!
I like the sound of it but don't think Im ready for it yet :) Heard its got some tough sections in it.

O.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
MY friend ran this last year as her first ever marathon. She said it was a beautiful circuit but found it really tough. She was aiming for 3:30 and was doing well in training, but ended up finishing in 4:10. Part of the problem was the weather was pretty bad (that's Scotland for you) and there were some pretty nasty hills that she wasn't expecting from the route map. But she still had a great time and said it was very well organised.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies folks.

Yeah I've heard it has a couple of killer hills from people. But I haven't actually heard from anyone that's ran it.

Thanks again
Richard

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im going to do the 10k there in oct hopefully. I did my 1st marathon few weeks ago in edinburgh and fancy that loch ness might be my next marathon. A wee go at the 10k this year will hopefully give me an insight to the course for next year.

Will read with interest any comments on this course!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully I will be able to tell you in october!

How was your first Marathon then?

·
Registered
48 Posts
First marathon was good! Running with a crowd cheering you on is great! I dont remember the 1st 5-6 miles being too bad, the crowd and the sight of so many runners makes you forget how hard its going to be and takes your mind of it, which is what you want as long as you dont get carried away. Very hard slog in the middle third though but crowd soon picks you up again near the end.

Fantastic feeling at the end!

Is this your 1st marathon? Hows the training?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah must be a great feeling crossing the line!

Yip first Marathon for me. The training is going pretty good. I've been training for about 6 weeks now and have done my first 10 mile training run which actually went very well. I have Stonehaven Half Marathon in July so that will be a nice little test for me.

Just have to keep at it and build up the milage gradually. It's woked so far. (Apart from the shin splints)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts