Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As some of you might know, I have recently completed the Bristol Half in 2hr 17m, my dream has always been to run the London marathon and I have enquired with my charity about a gold bond place for 2008.

I guess my question is, is this too soon and that I might need to be looking for 2009, I am prepared for a heavy training schedule etc.

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were. ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go for it! I have never done a Marathon myself - just about to embark on my first 'half' and I am contemplating the FLM next year - but I think if you have the focus and determination then why not give it go; don't wait for 2009! When you read some of the stories of people who have done it, sometimes having never done a race before in their lives, its so inspirational. In fact, why not go for next year's instead - there are plenty of charity places and the ballot is still open too, I believe. What are you waiting for?!! I'll see you there...

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Definitely go for it. There's plenty of time to train for it and you have completed a 1/2m already.If you get in you'll love it....it is the best marathon by far. I've done it 3 times (last time in 2000) and have applied to do it again next year.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Steve,

I've entered FLM under the ballot system - is that how you got it or was it a charity place? After my disastrous New Forest marathon recently I've decided to enter the next marathon under my own steam. Don't think I have much of a chance really.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheryl said:
Steve,

I've entered FLM under the ballot system - is that how you got it or was it a charity place? After my disastrous New Forest marathon recently I've decided to enter the next marathon under my own steam. Don't think I have much of a chance really.
Sorry to hear you had a bad 'un - what happened ??

I have been offered a guarenteed gold bond place from a charity, I have to raise £1,500 pounds :eek: in order to get it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really sorry to hear that, especially as you had managed to get so far around !, still, I think you made the correct decision, carrying on might well have done you serious harm.

All the best for the next one !

when will you hear of you have been successful in getting through via the ballot route ?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I understand that you receive a marathon newsletter in December and that will confirm whether you have a place. I'm going to start looking now for Spring so if I don't get into FLM I'll have a backup.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Cheryl said:
Steve,

Cheryl,
The first time I got in was via the backdoor...ie I didn't get a spot through the ballot but as I donated my entry fee I got lucky and got one of the places allocated to those who'd been generous in that way.
The second time I got a ballot place.
The third time I failed with the ballot and donation method but as I was a member of a running club my rejection slip went into the club draw. along with 10 or so others, and I got lucky. I believe all affiliated running clubs are sent 2 places by FLM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts