Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening..

I went to see the London Marathon today and I got so overwhelmed by the atmosphere. After I had watched it for 30 seconds I just knew that I have to run the London Marathon next year. I just have one problem, I don't know anything about running, so I have a couple of questions.

I have been looking on the watch forum and I think I want a Garmin 205 or a 305. Can somebody tell me what the diffenfence is between the watches and tell me which one I should buy(as a beginner). Both of 'em cost 99.99 quid at pcworld. Do you know a cheaper place to buy it?

I have planned to run three times a week. Monday, Thursday and Saturday. Should I start running after a schedule from the beginning or just getting use to running by running some 5 km runs?

By the way, I'm 21 years old, have been lifting some weight and been running a little bit the last year so my fitness is alright. I have a good pair of running shoes (new balance) and I am ready to work really hard to get ready for the London Marathon next year.

//The only Dane in Essex - Thuu

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Howdy thuu! If you are able to get the 305 for £99 then go for it! The main difference between the 205 & 305 is that the 305 also incorporates a heart rate monitor. I certainly don't know anywhere cheaper to buy a Forerunner 305!

I'd say jump into a basic training schedule and see how you get on... if you struggle then drop down to something easier - though it may be tempting to keep going you're much more vunerable to overuse injuries when you first start running, so is often worth being patient with your training - If you ever become injured you'll soon see why it's worth being a little cautious at times! ;) Obviously if you find the training schedule much too easy, then you can step up to something a little more tricky.

Hopefully the other forum members will add their pointers too, but I've gotta shoot off in a min so can only give you a quick answer!

Take care, and Welcome to the forum! :d

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By the way, does anybody have a 52 week marathon schedule?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
52 week schedule!!!!!!!!!

Well if I were you I'd find 3 different schedules..
A 10k schedule..repeat twice
A 1/2m schedule
A marathon schedule

As a beginner it is important that you progress in terms of speed and distance slowly...increasing by more than 10% each week and ensuring that you have the correct running shoes to prevent injury.

Try to find a local running club to join...you'll need support and encouragement to progress to run a marathon.

Best of British!

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you feel that you're really committed, then go ahead with the Forerunner...
but I'd recommend running for a few weeks first to get used to running regularly before you spend too much money and make sure you really do want to continue this schedule running up to next April, because it is one heck of a large commitment to make!

·
Registered
2 Posts
i am also a relative newbie but have been running 4 times a week for the last few months. i am very keen to do the london in 2009. i have registered with 2 charities that mean alot to me that i would love to raise some money for in the hope of a place and will also apply in the phase 2 online ballot in monday. if i am unsuccesful after all of this than are there any other ways to ge a place?

Many thanks for your help.

Dan:d

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good Luck!

Hi there Thuu

I also was at the Marathon with our runners on Sunday and agree, it really is an amazing event and very inspiring!

Good luck with registering for it and your training schedule!

Kelly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't registered yet. Will do it Monday morning 9am!!!!!!
If i don't get a place I'll go for one of the Marathons in the US. Maybe Boston.. Think it's harder to get a place in NY martathon than LDN, so I will go for one of the smaller marathons.

I Think I'll prepare with as many 10k runs as possible in the summer, and if i'm ready I'll find a half-marathon sometime in September or October.

Ran 5.5 km yesterday. Had to have a strech break after 3km because of the worst stich ever!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I think you need to be a good runner to get into Boston...not therefore an "open" event. Chicago is good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts