Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I'm a fairly new runner - did a couple of 5ks earlier this year and managed to get round the Nike Run London 10k this morning. What struck me, doing the run, is how many people were running together as groups of friends. How do you meet up with other runners? I can't really sign up for a running club as I have 2 small children so find early evenings and weekends a bit tricky to manage. Any ideas as it was so good to run with others today and it can be quite a drag to motivate myself to run alone.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm in the same position - cannot really join a running club because of my personal circumstances so I run alone. I really enjoy running with other people and that's why I enjoy the races - this year I had the whole year mapped with all the races booked and paid for and that motivates you to get out on your own to train.

·
Registered
419 Posts
There are quite a few ways to find people to run with in London... Nike themselves do a good job of organising those social training runs during their 10km buildup and also host their year-round NikeTown based runs - I regularly did these a few years ago and they were fab!

Then there's the website bone idle mentions above... plus runningpartners.org... plus forums like this one, runnersworld and fetch... if you post on any of these forums then you may quite quickly find some running partners...

And then there's all the running clubs... if you find a local one then you may find they have quite a few members who also can't make the formal club runs because of work and family commitments - and they'll also be looking for company.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you have to run alone have some good music, I have made my own playlist of all my favourite tracks that really make me run faster and if I start getting bored I imagine I am in a nightclub dancing to the music!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I actually love running alone..am I strange??? It is my time to think and get everything sorted out... I put on my MP3 and away I go and by the time I come back I have organised everything and feel 100%.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello Yummy Mummy,

You should have a look at different running clubs around near where you are based, I am sure there are people in exactly the same position as you - ie. cant not run in the morning or evening because of family commitments.

Where are you based?

If not do try what Nellie suggested - pop on the mp3 or ipod and listen to your favorite music! Good luck.

Real People, Real Fitness, Real Runners. www.realrunners.co.uk

·
Registered
335 Posts
bone idle said:
Hello Yummy Mummy!

Where bouts are you based?

I know theres a new website www.runningtogether.co.uk where you may find a partner.

thank you for that address i ahve looked on it and there is a lady in Barnsley where we live, and she is also a beginner, so I'm gonna see if my hubby will let me contact her so he has someone new like him to train with :d

1 - 8 of 8 Posts