Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI again, well it looks like my groin strain has subsided and the muscles may have even toughened up a bit. I've been doing some new hip stretches too which may have helped - or perhaps the bowen therapy worked!

however, not been running so much and dived intoa 15k snowshoe race...which my 2 runner friends assured me I'd be fine in - Iknew wihtout trianing it would be murder, but I went for it anyway. this race was around a crosscountry ski course and then up and back down a 2k mountain. I completed it in 3hr47mins - terrible! But not so bad after no training?!

After the race my muscles weren't as tired as I thought they would be - I still had running energy left in my legs at the finish too - my problem was energy! Stamina! This is what I really need to build on.

Marathon is the 20th april.....still got time....may try and incorporate swimming into my training. as it is cold and snowy here.

Any ideas what I should average a week in running/swimming etc? I hear that circuit training can be just as good for runners too?

;)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
any decent cardio workout will compliment your running pretty well, and if it's non weight bearing (e.g. cycling/swimming) then even better as it'll reduce the risk of injury. As for quantities? Who knows! I recently read a book on the FIRST 3 plus 2 training method which implements 3 hard runs a week with cross training sessions to help improve fitness without risking injury. May be worth a read? I'm sure you could find a cut down version of it if you googled it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts