Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'd like some long run advice. I'm planning to do a long run tomorrow as part of my Marathon training, the Marathon's in 3 weeks and I was planning to do approx 21 miles tomorrow, and another 20 miler the following week. I was wondering whether I should take it steady (approx 2/3 - 3/4 pace) and experience running for a longer time than usual, I'd estimate about 3 1/2hrs, or go at a full pace. I've run two 16 milers and an 18 and the longest time I've been running for was 2 3/4 hrs. Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you want to do long runs, build up to your long run, Say your base is 4 mile, work around that increasing your miles, train up for 21 miles increasing your training distance 10% each week. Take it easy though, or it may lead to injury.

As theres a marathon coming up though maybe try and get in your distance abit quicker, you need to be sure your body is ready and not just jumping into a long run.

you mentioned about 2 3/4, Just take is easy on your first longer run. Good warm up and cool down too.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
have you been following a training plan?? i think most plans peak with about 5 weeks to go.. in other words i wouldnt be doing 20 miles next week

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've based my training around The Runners Handbook by Bob Glover, just checked it an yes you're right, it recommends 20 this week, then about 15 next. I'd slightly missread it, doh. I was worried that because I did a half marathon last week, I was behind in terms of mileage, but I guess it will do more harm than good at this point.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I'd run the 20miler at an easy pace...below your planned race pace as you need to stay fit for the race it self and not feel too whacked after the training run.
Make sure you take enough liquid with you.
Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did 20 miles in 3 hrs 20 mins. The first 2 hours were great, I did a nice steady pace (around 9 min miles) and felt good, the 3rd hour was hard and the last 20 minutes were brutal :( I felt quite strange at the end :happy:

I think lack of hydration played a part in feeling so bad, I only took one 500ml bottle of lucazade with me and 6 jelly babies, in a race I'd drink much more and have an isotonic drink in the hour before starting. It's not worried me unduly for the marathon, I'm confidant that I can hit 21 miles in 3hrs on race day and come in under 4 hrs (fingers Xed)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Not bad at all!!
Definately take more fluid on board...and don't wait until you are thirsty before drinking.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Jesus, I don't take any fluid with me when I run, I can't stand holding it and as for carrying it in some belt, well I'm not batman. I just grin and bear it, when it comes to the racing and I have access to drink stalls I feel much better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts