Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am in training for the PARA selection course,I today was told I must run 1.5 miles in under 9.18,Today I am supposed to be doing a 7 mile run,but was wondering if i should stick to just running 1.5 miles as fast as possible until I get my time down to 9 mins?

Here is the training program I am working with...

I could do with an answer within the next 15 mins also! :embarrassed:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hi

I suggest the long run, because I find, as you build up distance, you build up speed naturally. Plus this will also be handy for stamina in all the tabbing etc you'll be doing.

You can build up your speed during your run by doing fast sections, or fartlek, or several 0.5 mile sections at a fast pace with a couple of minutes' recovery in between

Good luck and have fun :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I had to set off before I could read the comments but I went on the long run anyway,trouble is...I couldn't make it.

this is the 3rd time I'v done this run and the 3rd try was the hardest ever!,first time I did it without stopping in around an hour and 25 mins and it was pretty much easy...just ran out of energy for the last mile ish...but still didn't stop,last week I did it again in just under an hour and 20 which felt a lot harder than the 1st attempt,but this time I just physically couldn't do it.

I also noticed this in swimming on Tuesday,first time I went swimming I did 2 fast ish lengths without stopping...then this week I did 2 lengths and was almost drowning come the end.

It seems my fitness is going downhill! I can only put it down to energy levels maybe?

Thanks for your help.

Ben:(

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Don't panic, Ben!

Your times are already pretty darned good. I think that what you really need to do is build up some stamina by running regularly for a few months. This will mean you can run for longer, and/or faster. You just need to get your body more used to running for long distances. And try to pace yourself. You obviously have some serious fitness, but you need to make sure you increase it by small but consistent amounts each week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

Thanks,I think I'm going to put the training program on hold and just run 4 times a week,and swim once a week.

What would you put the drop in fitness down to?I know I'm not really eating a diet to support my training program at all.

Thanks for your help,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

I just got back from a 2 mile run,or just short of 2 miles,and did it in 21 mins,but I have never felt that good while running,I could just keep pushing and pushing and never really lost energy...now I haven't been drinking all day which I normally do if I am going to run,and I only had my dinner,so was pretty much running on an empty stomach.I was also Racing motocross yesterday and believe me 3x 20 min races takes it out of you! so why today could I run and push my self as hard as I was able to?

Saturday I ate right and stacked on on carbs for race day,I had cereal,chicken,load of ride and 2 jacket potatoes,but surely I would have burned all that off yesterday racing?

whats going on? it seems the less I prepare the harder I can train?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did a mile and half today in 11 mins...slowly getting their...thats on a dirt path adn slightly hilly too....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dexter said:
Hi,

I am in training for the PARA selection course,I today was told I must run 1.5 miles in under 9.18,Today I am supposed to be doing a 7 mile run,but was wondering if i should stick to just running 1.5 miles as fast as possible until I get my time down to 9 mins?

Here is the training program I am working with...

I could do with an answer within the next 15 mins also! :embarrassed:
I agree that you need to build up your overall endurance first but than I would start hitting the interval training and maximal speed runs.

You want to able to run at or near its maximal speed for longer periods of time. That is the essence of becoming a faster runner.

if you need help check out the incredible interval training programs at www.myTreadmillTrainer.com.

They'll get you into shape in no time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts