Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got Leeds half marathon later this year and I've been putting a training schedule together which starts in a couple of weeks. the thing is, on a couple of the Sundays during the schedule where there should be a long run, I've got 10k's to race instead. the question I wanted to ask is this: is a 10k a suitable replacement for the long sunday run or would you still try to get the long run elsewhere in the week? How does everybody else manage their races and training? I'm thinking of how to maximise my 10k's without affecting the half marathon programme.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Personally I'd still like to get some proper long runs prior to a half-marathon. There isn't really any substitute for a long run. Try and get it in the week if work allows. But any running is better than nothing remember.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
After the race finishes, could you not carry on for a few miles (not the course obviously) to extend the 10K ?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Rob.

How long should the runs be on the 10k days,and how close are they to the half.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Rob,

I'd be tempted to to warm up & warm down with a couple of easy miles each side - then you'll have covered the necessary miles and you may find you'll race better with the warm-up, and recover better with the warm-down. Try it and see for one of the races. If it's not your goal race you've got nothing to lose.

If not, I'd swap a mid-week session (say if you schedule calls for a tempo run) for the long run and treat the race as the mid-week session.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I actually find races like that to be really good training, and worth swapping a long run for. As long as you have enough long runs in your training schedule, I say just do the races. If not, best to swap the long run in to the week somewhere instead of a shorter run or speedwork session

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I'd do the race and a long run earlier in the week....can't beat a slow long effort!!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I guess part of it depends what you want out of the 10k's... if you want to race them simply as fast as possible then I don't think adding mileage before/after (above what you'd normally do to warmup/cooldown) would really be possible? Also a long run midweek would probably eat into your race performance... well I know it'd eat into mine!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I agree with Richard....it does depend on the priority given to the two races....hence I'm happy to do 20m tomorrow am, a hill session tomorrow pm. a summer solstice club run Sat am and then the Glooston 10k.......where Richard and Trin will carry me round !!

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I know a couple of folk who have run a 10k and then made up the distance later in the day. They didn't race the 10km, so they had enough energy left for the next run.

If you want to race the 10km and get a good result, I'd definatley suggest doing your long run on another day during the week.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Though surely if you want to race the 10k, you'll want to taper leading up to the event - which a long run would be counter productive to?
If you're focus was on the 10km, then yes. However, I've used midweek 10km's as test races during training for half marathons and didn't build a taper in because the focus was on the half.

I did a 10km last weekend, with no taper and got my best time in over a year.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I tend to agree with Grant here, alot of the time tapering is over emphasised. I ran my best 1/2m in March off no tapering. If you're an elite runner doing 100+ miles a week then tapering is important, but for us average joe's (& joanna's!) doing 10-20-30-40 miles a week then tapering drastically will just lose you fitness.

One thing I would avoid in the week before a focus race is hard intervals though. It takes the body several days for adaptions to take place so they are pointless too close to a race. On the other hand putting your feet up for a week before a race will start to erode your endurance pretty quickly. Best to run as often as you would normally in the week before a race, but at an easy pace or at least nothing quicker than 10k pace.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Fair point guys... I guess I've always just one to be very cautious when coming up to a race and always tend to taper a fair bit. Interesting to hear you've both had PB's with no major tapering though... perhaps something for me to try in future :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well I did 2 runs yesterday including a 10k race and I'm long running in an hour or so today......
...madness!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Tapering for something like a 10k is absolute nonsense. Run as you normally would up until a couple of days before the race, then just take it easy for the remaining time.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'm going to give it a go... I've always just followed what I've read - which is to taper leading up to races, never really looked into the varying tapers for varying distances. 6miler in 2 weeks so i'll give it a bash then :d

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
I'm going to give it a go... I've always just followed what I've read - which is to taper leading up to races, never really looked into the varying tapers for varying distances. 6miler in 2 weeks so i'll give it a bash then :d
I've always been forced to taper as it were didn't run for a week before sundays 10k (bursitis)physio last thursday, didn't feel right minutes before the start just went for it .
Don't know what to make of it all !:confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts