Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Yes it does

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think that it will definately have an effect on your joints but there can't be any worse effects on joints than if your are sedentary and don't use them at all.

Your joints can seize up and i would much rather be working them harder than not at all!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm no expert but I'd say it must knack your joints up eventually if you do too much. I used to work with a guy that used to do 50 odd miles a week and he was only about 50 years old and he said his knees were all shot from years of pounding the streets. That said, I agree with above post about the even wose effects of sedentary lifestyle. Sometimes when I've had a day at home doing nothing I feel really lethergic and sluggish by the end of it, as opposed to the days when I run and feel like I've earned a rest. I'd rather have a crack at staying fit as I get older, definitely.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
If you do too much of anything'll take it's toll !

There is only one thing that i can think of where an excessive amount might be ok and that's sex !

Memo to self :- must try to do it twice this year:p ;) :d

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
yes of course it is true... overuse and trauma causes soft tissue injuries... i would agree that too much running is bad for you... particularly when you first start... however, the evidence that long term running on joints is not totally clear...

'It is unclear if long-distance running causes the knee and hip joints to deteriorate. The results of animal studies reveal a pattern of increased incidence of arthritis in these joints when there is a history of injury or use in atypical environments (eg, laboratory settings). Human studies show an increase in radiographic evidence of osteoarthritis in endurance sports athletes, but no related increase in symptoms reported. Although there are not currently enough data to give clear recommendations to long-distance runners, it appears that long-distance running does not increase the risk of osteoarthritis of the knees and hips for healthy people who have no other counterindications for this kind of physical activity. Long-distance running might even have a protective effect against joint degeneration.'

personally, i think it depends on how much you train but you have to remember that overall it's doing good for you... even if you aren't the fastest runner you dramatically reduce the incidence of many diseases - heart disease, stroke, type II diabetes... it also makes you happier, sexier and it's a great de-stresser... the good far outways the bad...

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
It's about training right, getting the correct nutrition, and wearing the correct trainers.

When you think about the amount of aged runners around who are fit and running long distances, against the amount of similar aged people who don't run and have all kinds of joint problems... I believe the body recognises the need for more strength in certain areas and builds accordingly... so long as you take responsibility to look after it's need for rest and nutrients

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm 52 and severely injured my right knee playing football when I was 19.
I may be wrong but I would confidently bet that my joints are in better condition than most inactive people of my age.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
LOL Where's the "Maybe" button? I think it depends whether you're doing it right!

Lots of veteran runners around with very healthy joints, where the running has actually helped them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cheriton said:
If you do too much of anything'll take it's toll !

There is only one thing that i can think of where an excessive amount might be ok and that's sex !

Memo to self :- must try to do it twice this year:p ;) :d
Could that make it worse?I mean for men: running on empty knees . There should be a decent period between sex and running sessions

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Katten said:
1 I think it depends whether you're doing it right!

2 Lots of veteran runners around with very healthy joints, where the running has actually helped them.
1: Does that go for the sex as well, I wonder? View attachment 273

2: Being "veteran" ... Doesn't always follow that someone has run for a great amount of time (thus having more potential for wear and tear). A lot of veterans around these days have come into running relatively late in life, using joints which have hitherto had an "easy" ride (?). :confused:

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Which way is this question intended? I've answered it directly... does running hurt joints? YES! of course it does! You're using your joints and a lot of shock is transmitted through them, of course it causes deterioration over time...

Does running hurt joints more than living a sedentary lifestyle? Different story altogether!

I'd loosely liken it to a car engine - with oil being the strengthened muscles and ligaments gained through living an active life such as through running. An engine can run with or without oil; in either state the engine will deteriorate, but with oil it'll deteriorate at a much slower rate.

I like cars :d

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Well, if you run for years and years, you don't "necessarily" get joint problems, your joints may be stronger for it. But then again you might. :p But then again, even if you run regularly and damage your joints, you might still be in better condition overall than if you had not run regularly, and had damaged your arse from sitting on it too long

I suppose the only answer is to run while having sex. And carrying a well-oiled car engine. I've never heard of anyone injuring themselves from that :cool:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What about those who are doing parkour/free running: the shock sustained by the knees should cripple them in few years according to wear and tear theory. My opinion is that knees' cells regenerate by the time regarldess of what we are doing - only diseases or bad diet could
hurt the knees. Those fit and wired African tribes do more running than any long distance sprinter, yet they keep walking even when they are senile.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts