Runners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I picked up an injury in 2013 on my left shin, on the inside, about 4 or 5 inches down from my knee. If I do no exercise then the pain goes away completely. as soon as I start it comes back regardless of how slowly I build it up. I have been icing it and foam rolling it, strengthened the muscles in my hip as thought that could be the issue.

nope. nothing seems to work. I went for a sports massage and when pressure I applied to it, a little (bulge, swelling, not sure how best to describe it) which I assume, as did the sports massage lady, that it was just blood rushing to the inflammation.

There are a couple of bumps down my shin, consistent with shin splints. I had it MRI'd back in 2013 and it showed "periostitis" which I know to be inflammation of the periosteum.

Have been to physios and they cant help, they asked the surgical team at hospital if they can do anything and they said no. This injury was picked up in the army, and I am hoping to go back in autumn of next year but I cant if I cant heal this dam leg.

I started cycling and it was more or less ok, with a few flair ups here and there but I iced the shin and foam rolled and it calmed down, but as my fitness improved I started to cycle up the hills near me and my leg flared up again. currently sitting with an ice pack on whilst typing this 😅

Anyone care to shed some light on this and how to mend this. I stopped smoking to increase blood flow to the area, losing weight that I put on after I left army as reducing the load on my leg is vital.

Need to get back out running ASAP but cant currently :/

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Sounds like you need a better physio, to be honest. If you've been to some and they can't help, then other runners on a forum aren't going to be able to help.

How many physios have you tried and have they been ones who have come recommended by other runners? I've found the quality of care I've got from physios to be quite variable, including having been to a couple who take the attitude that "if you're gonna run that much you're gonna get injured. You should run less", which is really unhelpful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts