Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am aware that when we take a break we lose our fitness levels. After the Dundee half I didnt run for 4 weeks. The first time out I could tell I had lost something but now it seems to be coming back better and a lot quicker. It seems to me that although we lose fitness, the fitter we are then the easier it is to get it back again again. Maybe the body remembers the training from before and so adapts quicker than when we first started. Does this sound about right.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I think so too. The fitter you are the better base you have to begin again from after a break.

Here's a question - If I train for, say, six weeks for an event, but drop off the regime in the 6th (and final) week leading up to the event doing 50% less than previous weeks, will performance be significantly different to what it would have been if I had trained the same for the full six weeks?

Sorry if this sounds really open ended.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what tapering is isnt it?. Thats supposed to make it better for the event. I believe that your performance grows in the rest phase (at least is muscle bulding it does). I know that if I miss a couple od days then my runs can feel better. I think its like stopping a racehorse from running before a race. We like to run, we want to run, so cutting back a little before the event gives us that little stronger urge.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I would say taking a rest would make you come back stronger. I've never gone longer than about 5 days without running, but the few times I have, I seem to come back ultra fast. I always run better and faster if I've had 2 or 3 days rest.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I have taken longish periods of time off from running and have found that in the space of a few weeks I am back to pace, I have always said that running is extremely progressive and you see results pretty quickly, this is someone who used to think exercise was for the crazy :lol:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Having been running for a couple of years now, I tend to find that even after a couple of weeks off,it's much quicker to get back to the level before hand. When I started and had a week or so off the next time I ran I always felt I was back to stage 1.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[Was this due to work or did Dundee have a bad effect on you?/QUOTE]

Well my blisters were quite bad. I tried to go out sooner but the skin just came off again. Also being back at work and having a few things going on meant i didnt really have the time.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Itokuzu... Sounds like you're referring to tapering before an event... Any hardcore training you do in the final week before the event will have no effect on improving your fitness before the event and will only fatigue you in the leadup to the event.

I'm not saying the workouts would be useless... as they would improve your fitness beyond the date of the event, but in terms of your performance on the day of the event... a week's running at 50% of previous intensity will help you feel fully rested and ensure optimum performance ;)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Well it's a club run night tonight.................

........tempted for sure!!
You would not be allowed ;)

You could always come and keep a friend company ;)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Itokuzu... Sounds like you're referring to tapering before an event... Any hardcore training you do in the final week before the event will have no effect on improving your fitness before the event and will only fatigue you in the leadup to the event.

I'm not saying the workouts would be useless... as they would improve your fitness beyond the date of the event, but in terms of your performance on the day of the event... a week's running at 50% of previous intensity will help you feel fully rested and ensure optimum performance ;)
Glad to hear you say that - because due to certain events my training has dropped quite a bit this week. In fact last night is probably going to be my last workout before Sundays 10k.

I'll try and keep quite active over the next three days, but I won't have a chance to get anymore runs on board. :(

Ito.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
let us know how you get on?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts