Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Help....I have really taken a nose dive with my training after getting my BF % taken!!! After all my hard work training and I feel I am not getting anywhere!! I know everyone is different but I have been running since August and usually doing a 30 minute session about 4 to 5 times a week...my main motivation was to get rid of my increasing waistline, but I feel now like i'm fighting a losing battle...any tips on getting me back on track guys!!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
It's a common problem... especially once the initial buzz or honeymoon period has gone. I normally resolve it by taking time out...in my case during the summer when it is too hot. After a week or two you'll start to get the urge again...problem is keeping the pounds off during the rest period!
I didn't have my summer break this year and am beginning to get jaded...my times in training show me that my body needs a rest but I've a couple of races to do before I get a break!

You coud try running different routes or with a beginner and act as their mentor....their enthusiasm could get you going again.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Nellie said:
:( Help....I have really taken a nose dive with my training after getting my BF % taken!!! After all my hard work training and I feel I am not getting anywhere!! I know everyone is different but I have been running since August and usually doing a 30 minute session about 4 to 5 times a week...my main motivation was to get rid of my increasing waistline, but I feel now like i'm fighting a losing battle...any tips on getting me back on track guys!!
You have been doing really well since August, imagine how you will feel in a couple of months when you have not trained and BF% risen again, waistline increasing steadily (that should be some sort of motivation for you !!)

Like Steve says, I have recently started running with my brother who is hugely unfit and we both know if i don't go running with him then he won't go, it's really given me an extra burst for training and also having entered a couple of races (I use the term loosely for me) focus's the mind.

Don't give up - you've put too much effort in to get where you are !

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
You are very welcome, I could always send you a picture of my waistline, that would cheer you up and also act as a lesson of what might happen if you are thinking of giving up again!!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Nellie,

Are you sure you aren't seeing me when you look in the mirror, because everthing you describe I seem to be the same.

I have tried really hard, but my waistline is the same. My training has been up and down recently. Thought I had run a really good one on Saturday, only to measure the route this morning, and I was slow....bit fed up now!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Lyn`s training up and down. :d

Come on Steve your getting slow mate.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bagpuss......There is definately something spooky about you and me...same name, spelt same way (Lyn), same age, etc etc.... but I know how you feel sometimes you think you are getting no where, I ran 5K yesterday and was slower than ever!!! but the guys here are great for making you feel all better again...

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Live by my motto ............. Slower is always better !! ;-)

I always think I'd like to be continually speeding up with training, but I don't think I'm ever going to be 'quick', I always look for the positive, which in my case is completing the distance I set off to do, if my time is good it's a bonus.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I can run a faster pace, but I worry about running out of energy too soon.
I have a 10k a week on Sunday and don't feel I can run any faster than a month ago. But as it is the 'Ladies' one I am looking forward to Dave running in front in his dress......will I run faster or slower then???..............perhaps it is worth getting back sooner as there is tea and cakes afterwards!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Bagpuss said:
I am looking forward to Dave running in front in his dress......will I run faster or slower then!
If Dave is running in a dress (presumably in heels as well :embarrassed: , then there is no way I would fell comfortable with him behind me, just make sure you can see him in front !! :eek:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I bet me behind you would be a sure way to a PB. :)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
You would be right I reckon, maybe we'll have to come to some sort of arrangement for the bath half marathon in March !!

·
Registered
231 Posts
C'mon Nellie - you and I are both roughly at the same stage of the BUPA 10k training plan. I am now starting week 2 of that plan. Are you doing the same plan? What week are you on? Tomorrow morning I am running 18 minutes followed by 2 minutes walking, and that combo repeated. C'mon - write to me tomorrow, and tell me you've done the same or similar!!!

Also, on a slightly more sobering thought - and I think all three of us (Bagpuss, you and me) are roughly the same age, and all relatively new to running (although clearly Bagpuss is a little ahead). Anyway, I've realised over the last year or so that peri-menopause is a very real thing in my life. That means a slowly expanding waistline, amongst other things. BUT I REFUSE TO GIVE UP. I will run, I will keep my figure. I will eat healthily (and oh boy, eating well is a minefield of misinformation, bad education and temptation).

But I must try my best, and so can you. And think of where you'd be if you hadn't been running in the meantime. Ignore that BF measurement. It swings about vastly for many women. Mine comes in at about 32 at the moment - yet my scales tell me that's in the normal range. That makes your measurement very close to mine. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Karen

I didn't even start the 10k training!!! but you have spurred me on to keep at it... I will start week two tomorrow as well ....I ran 5k yesterday in 35.50 minutes so although i'm still slow i can make it ok.... so onward and upwards, as you say we are probably at that funny age!!!ha ha, hormones have a lot to answer for. I REFUSE TO GIVE UP AS WELL.

Thanks again

·
Registered
158 Posts
Or how I wish I was in your position at the moment! I'm injured and haven't run now for getting on two weeks. Think yourself lucky that you can actually run.

·
Registered
158 Posts
No, my leg definitely feels better so I'm going to give it another week. It doesn't throb all the time even when I'm resting anymore so things are looking up.

Another week on the cross-trainer . . .

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, I did my (Run 18/Walk 2)x2 this morning - as usual, in the woods, with my Golden Retriever for company. Only this morning, the dog decided that a squirrel had run up a tree in front of us, and so he stopped, horizontally across the path, right in front of me. Result: I went sprawling over my dog; hands, elbows, knees and thighs full of mud. What a sight! What a laugh (once I'd gotten over the fright of it)! What an idiot dog!

I think I need to upload a picture of my dog as my avatar. I love him to bits.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts