Runners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all im male aged 36 and have always gone to the gym but 5 months ago I started long distant running so I train 6 times a week doing boxing swimming and a spin class with a 10k run during the week and a 20k run at weekend. I had a checkup a few weeks ago and all my bloods came back perfect except my iron stores ferritin and folic acid was a little low and I have been given supplements by my doctor. My question is could the extra running and training 6 times a week be causing these levels to be slightly low. My doctor said it was nothing to worry about as all my other blood test where perfect but I can't help being a little concerned. Doctor said I def was not anemic

·
Registered
278 Posts
hi all im male aged 36 and have always gone to the gym but 5 months ago I started long distant running so I train 6 times a week doing boxing swimming and a spin class with a 10k run during the week and a 20k run at weekend. I had a checkup a few weeks ago and all my bloods came back perfect except my iron stores ferritin and folic acid was a little low and I have been given supplements by my doctor. My question is could the extra running and training 6 times a week be causing these levels to be slightly low. My doctor said it was nothing to worry about as all my other blood test where perfect but I can't help being a little concerned. Doctor said I def was not anemic
I cannot comment on the low levels vs running bit in particular, but I wanted to add that there are great food sources high in ferritin and folic acid such as all/most leafy greens (spinach, kale), legumes..(also, meat for iron)....fix some green smoothie with spinach or kale... only see that you alternate (i.e. dont only do spinach), some research suggest about folic acid build up if you don't

Unless you have a particular condition, I'd suggest sourcing it via your diet and ditch the supplements (of course, consult with your doctor first) and get all the vitamins, phytonutrients in as well.. talking about plant-based options here

1 - 2 of 2 Posts