Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I got to thinking, I am the wrong side of 35 and new to running. Currently my desire overides my bodies ability and recovery needs. From reading posts I don't think I am alone in this.

What other exercise do the more experienced do to get their fix whilst recovering?

My thoughts so far are:

Cycling: I have a bike, but stop away a bit and a bike is not practical to travel with.

Swimming: enjoyable, but too often pools are closed when I need them, or full of kids, women only, aerobic? classes.

Rollerblades: I am starting to think this might be the answer. I lived on skates as a kid and they are easy to carry.

Any other ideas? I am not very sociable and shudder at the thought of gyms, classes etc. Also glasses rule out any ball sports as without them I can't see the ball :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Sorry if I have missed something but recovering from what? A long or hard run?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
are you doing recovery runs at a really low pace?

Unless you are in any discomfort then I don't think you have too much to worry about, I rarely do any other cardio exercise.

However I do have rollerskate and they weigh a ton and have barley used them, tut tut :d

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any slower and I will be going backwards. :p

I find rest days hard as I struggle to get back into it the next day. But I am carrying a lot of weight and my ankles and calves suffer. Up to 10k I recover within a day but the 12 I am doing on Sundays takes it's toll. This week was better and I almost feel right, but last week was a struggle. Leading me to think I may need to interspurse some different activity.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
If you are having some weeks where you might be finding it hard and this happens to everyone, don't be tough on yourself either drop a couple of miles off your run or do more shorter ones for that week, it doesn't hurt to vary it.

:d

1 - 6 of 6 Posts