Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the sunburn and blistering heat I decided just to have a very short run last night - 4k.

During the run my lower back ached a little, which I thought was a bit unusual. The only things different from usual were the heat and my new gel insoles. The ache was still there when I woke today, and is still persisting now. It's a dull ache across the very bottom of my back.

Does anyone know any good exercises to help stretch the muscles down there?

Thanks in advance!

Ito

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think its difficult to find an exercise to exercise the lower back muscles but one I do is lay on the floor on your back and lift your knees (slide feet back so that your knees are off the floor as if you are about to do a sit up). Feet flat on the floor. Place hands behind your head with elbows out to the side.

From this position, take both knees down to the right (keeping knees together) so that your right touches the floor and look to your left. Hold for 10 seconds. Then knees back up straight and look to the ceiling, then repeat the exercise on the other side.

Not sure that makes much sense as its difficult to describe but its fairly simple and its a good exercise.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
btw... if your back is aching... be sure any 'exercises' you search for are stretches rather than exercises to build strength... obviously if it's causing you pain it needs help recovering rather than being worked even harder! ;)

Of course when you're back up to full health then some strength building work would probably be a good idea to prevent it happening again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts