Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is running or work related, but I'm getting muscular pains in my lower back and I don't know if it's caused by taking up running or due to work.

When I run I seem to land reasonably heavily on my feet, could this cause back pains?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
It could be a combination of both - where abouts in your back are you getting the pains - in your lower back or higher up? Are you getting any shooting pains or pin & needles or numbness in the backs of legs or buttocks?

There are some good exercises for loosening your back here:
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=1116&v=4&sp=

Otherwise you might get some benefit from consulting an osteo or a chiropractor - I know I do.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the lower back from the back of the ribcage down. The pain is like a dull ache down either side.

I'm not having any of the other pains you suggest, it's only the lower back. A work colleague of mine who did sports science at uni suggested that it may be down to poor running shoes, something else I may have to look into.

Thanks for the stretching links, but I can't read them as I'm not a runners world subscriber!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Good that means you are unlikely to have sciatica. Sometimes the last two vertebrae in your lower back can get locked up with the impact of running - this is why your shoes are really important. Did you buy your shoes from a proper running shop? If you have a desk job as well you will also need to look at your work station and make sure it is set up correctly as well.

If you PM your email address I can forward those back exercises to you as a PDF.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sadly the shoes I have are just a random pair of Nike trainers :huh:
I'm going to get some proper ones when I have the money, hopefully sometime within the next 2 or 3 weeks.

There's a proper sports shop down the road from me, so I'm going to give them a bash and see what they suggest.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
By proper sports shop I hope you mean a running shop that does gait analysis - make sure they do gait analysis. A lot of running shoe companies are currently updating their lines so you may be able to pick up something in a sale.

You have mail

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the mail. Much appreciated!

I'll check with the shop and see if they do gait analysis first.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts